• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Used torsion bars??

Geff McCarthy

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:55 PM
Reaction score
Do TB eventually deform, and/or lose designed torque resistance, like leaf springs? If so, would the front end sag? Can the bar be twisted, to restore height and response? FWIW, I bought new ones, reasonable price for my 63 Vert, 1.05, I think and am pleased with the ride!

Yes, yes, yes, and yes. I'm glad you like the ride. 1.05's are pretty serious. There are adjusting bolts to correct the ride height.

Absolutely, just replaced the original TB and rear leafs on my 66 and rebuilt the LCA's. Its now sitting properly and much firmer, used 1.03 TBs.

Yep, new torsion bars are a must after 50+ years of supporting a cars front end. They do wear out. just get new replacements. Rear springs, same deal.

I hadn't even considered this as i go through my car.... is there a particular brand to look for or are they all the same?

P-S-T is a sponsor and gives members a discount.

When I rebuilt my front end a few years ago bought all components and bars from Performance Suspension Technologies (PST) . There are different bars available so you should check the original bars outer diameters and oa length.

My original ones had to be adjusted all the way to maintain decent ride height, so in the end i bought the 1.03" TB's from PST and all is well.
Good ride and not harsh.
I kept the old ones but i have no idea if they could be re-worked to get them back to standards.

I have the PST 1.03 bars in all 3 of my cars. No regrets at all, nice pieces giving a nice ride.

Auto Transport Service
Back