• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Using 2018 Demon tech to make a classic car go faster ?

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:45 PM
Reaction score
I was really impressed to see that the new Challenger Demon uses the Air Conditioning to make the intercooler more effective. Such a brilliant idea! Use what you already have instead of trying to REinvent the wheel..
We know that cooler air is packed with more oxygen. Why not figure a way to use the A/C on naturally aspirated cars?
I run an open element air cleaner on my car like many people do. This means it is breathing in air up to 140 degrees on a hot summer day. What would the gains be if the inlet air temperature were half of that? The A/C in my 2007 Ram recorded a temp of 49 degrees at the outlet. Aftermarket A/C for classic cars are even colder than that. What if you could somehow run a duct to the air cleaner to pipe in cold air?
I just thought about this on the way home from work and wondered if anyone else considered it. In a way, it could be a cheap way to add power with no drawbacks, right?

no wonder smokey had ac in his chevelle
hook flex duct to the grille area or to in front of the windshield, plenum
been doing that since the 50's

Last edited:
The Ferd Lightning tried it, it was only good for for about 8-10 seconds. Google it for more info.

I was really impressed to see that the new Challenger Demon uses the Air Conditioning to make the intercooler more effective. Such a brilliant idea! Use what you already have instead of trying to REinvent the wheel..
We know that cooler air is packed with more oxygen. Why not figure a way to use the A/C on naturally aspirated cars?
I run an open element air cleaner on my car like many people do. This means it is breathing in air up to 140 degrees on a hot summer day. What would the gains be if the inlet air temperature were half of that? The A/C in my 2007 Ram recorded a temp of 49 degrees at the outlet. Aftermarket A/C for classic cars are even colder than that. What if you could somehow run a duct to the air cleaner to pipe in cold air?
I just thought about this on the way home from work and wondered if anyone else considered it. In a way, it could be a cheap way to add power with no drawbacks, right?
Interesting idea. I will have to look more into the Demon and how it's using the A/C.
1. I've "heard" of people purging nitrous in front of intercoolers to cool the air.
2. I like air grabber hoods for cooler air
3. My Mustang has a March Performance air intake mounted under the bumper for cooler air & I've seen some cars with home-built air intakes very similar.
4. The only thing I wonder about the A/C is if it could supply enough air for a big block's needs at 6000rpm ?????
5. You are correct that cold air has "more oxygen per cubic foot" because it is denser than hot air. If you picked two temperatures, say 140F and 85F, you could pretty easily calculate (or look in a chart) to see the density differences. Oxygen level is directly proportional to that increase in density for the cooler air.
6. Nitrous oxide INSIDE the engine has 33% oxygen vs. 22% (roughly) in air & it's the extra oxygen (plus a bunch more fuel) that gives nitrous its kick. It also cools the air A LOT which also helps make power.

So, yes, if you could force-feed your engine air from a very high volume A/C unit on a hot day it would run faster, assuming the A/C didn't weigh 500 lbs.

So Kerndog......can you explain how the Demon is using its A/C to cool the intercooler or incoming air charge? Sounds cool.

It's my understanding that there is another condenser either inside the supercharger itself or inside the ducting somehow. Air comes in the inlet, flows through condenser, thus cooling the air, then compressed by supercharger, then into the rest of engine

But if you get a leak in the a/c and it gets into the engine; what is the by-product? I can tell you-mustard gas, nasty stuff even if 2nd/3rd hand. Had a diesel semi do it one time. Condenser sprung a leak right by the air intake!

But if you get a leak in the a/c and it gets into the engine; what is the by-product? I can tell you-mustard gas, nasty stuff even if 2nd/3rd hand. Had a diesel semi do it one time. Condenser sprung a leak right by the air intake!

Mustard gas? Would that be with R-12 or 134A?
Mike

Nasty stuff. I was walking toward the shop after filling up 200gal of diesel in a truck, and out came my co-worker hacking&coughing(early winter) trying to open up the garage doors. Intake sucked that Freon right in engine & burnt it & out the exhaust it came.

Just put a air to air charger with a electric fan.

Freon cooling is nice but don't get a leak. You could super cool the fuel with a canister and a evap line cooler up inside of it. But then a/c must not cycle or you will not have what you want.

The Demon uses a stand alone heat exchanger to cool the charge. The intercoolers are built into the intake manifold and has a separate radiator and electric pump. It uses the AC system and a heat exchanger to cool the intercooler coolant even more. It consists of a small evaporator and associated plumbing. It is the same part the the Pacifica hybrid uses to help cool the battery pack and power inverter. The compressor is protected from high rpm, but I don't know the actual number. Remember, even a small reduction in charge temperature makes a big difference.

My father in law actually came up with this idea about a year before the car came out. I laughed and told him honestly that it was a good idea and one I had not thought of BUT he wanted to run the system full time. He ride is not super charged but a simple lowly Nissian pick up truck with a 4 banger.

I didn’t hinder him in anyway but did note to him that I did t think the AC could keep up with engine demand as it would be a full time all the time feed.

Didn't dick landy try a ice bucket rig to cool the air on his candymatic back in the day?

Using the A/C is a great idea for continual use without having to worry about lack of cold air. But if you're racing and only need it for a few runs and don't care about all the time on the street, a CO2 chilled air intake is way cheaper, usually under $200.

Auto Transport Service
Back