• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Using Aviation Fuel In Your Mopar

soundhd

Local time
6:59 PM
Reaction score
Have a buddy who started using AV (Aviation) fuel in his Mopar last year......gave it a try this past week.......what a difference..... 100 octane....ethanol free (do not confuse AV fuel with jet fuel (JP) AV fuel is just for piston engine aircraft).......was like having a new engine.....(have since started using AV fuel in all my classic vehicles). Even a 50/50 mix helps a lot.
Only draw back is that it will evaporate a lot faster while the vehicle is in long term storage (unless you have a newer vehicle with a modern sealed fuel system) and federal law says you cannot put the fuel directly into a vehicle from the pump because there are no driving/highway taxes on AV fuel so you put it in a container first then into the vehicle..... Cheaper then race fuel....locally here it is running $5.75 a gallon.
Most people who have switched use a 50/50 mix but during the winter storage months fill the tank with as close to 100% AV fuel as they can so you do not have the effects of ethanol while the vehicle is being stored.......
Check the web site of your local small airport and they usually post the current price of the AV fuel. Most AV fuel pumps are self serve pumps using a credit card, but for the first timer I would suggest stopping by the airport admin building and have someone show you how it works.
PS: I have read that using AV gas in a newer vehicle that has a 02 sensor can cause problems with that sensor.

I've got an airport just down the road but heavies land there. I'll have to check to see if they sell AV gas to the general public like me

Been running it for years in both cars,101 low lead here is $5.65 and I only have to go 9 mi to get it.

- - - Updated - - -

I've got an airport just down the road but heavies land there. I'll have to check to see if they sell AV gas to the general public like me

Most will sell it but only in your container,they wont pump it into your vehicle.

Not to be nit-pickey but just for the record, so as not to confuse anyone, the correct term is AVGAS and not AV Fuel. I know...maybe just semantics, but at the local airport here if you ask about AV Fuel, you get a really weird response from them. I also like the idea of the 50/50 mix too to kick up the Octane. Thanks though for the heads up....

If you guys are planning to run avgas there are a few things you should know
1) Alot more flammable then any ethanol crap as it vaporizes easier
2) If You WILL get lead build up in your spark plugs (may not be enough to cause a problem but it DOES happen)
3) Avgas is a higher octane fuel so you can advance the timing a bit (if car is set up for a low octane fuel)
4) Avgas is a leaded fuel So it will ruin any car catalytic converter (Post 80 something cars)

I've always understood that AVGAS is not a great alternative for cars because it's designed to run - as you'd expect - at high altitude. I tried it in my 68 RR many years ago and it didn't make one damn bit of difference. But in those days pump gas was not what it is today. I suppose if you have good results then motor on, but it wouldn't hurt to do a little chemistry research.

You could just use an octane booster with a tank of gas

You could just use an octane booster with a tank of gas

I don't really trust that octane boost in a bottle stuff. Has anyone ever gotten results with that stuff?

I don't really trust that octane boost in a bottle stuff. Has anyone ever gotten results with that stuff?

Sorry but those "Octane Boosters" are not really what they claim to be. Just more witches brew and snake oil. And yes one has to be careful with AVGAS and its volatility. Race gas is hard to find and when you do tends to be way more expensive then AVGAS. Reall I would like to see the EPA disbanded and we get back to higher octane levels in our gas. Brands such as Pure Firebird/Union 76 or Sonnoco 270 would be just fine....

Sorry but those "Octane Boosters" are not really what they claim to be. Just more witches brew and snake oil. And yes one has to be careful with AVGAS and its volatility. Race gas is hard to find and when you do tends to be way more expensive then AVGAS. Reall I would like to see the EPA disbanded and we get back to higher octane levels in our gas. Brands such as Pure Firebird/Union 76 or Sonnoco 270 would be just fine....

Why would AVGAS be more volatile than race gas? Isn't the FAA doing it's job? Normally aviation parts etc are stronger, safer, more stringently tested than anything except the space program stuff.

Higher octane?

AV gas isn't more volatile....(93 Octane gas is not more volatile then 89 octane), just higher octane...100-110. Piston engine aircraft mostly fly at low altitudes but some do fly at higher altitudes. A piston engine is a piston engine....some just built better then others. Just remember vehicles built after 1980 have O2 sensors, etc......don't use AV gas in those vehicles...........
If you have any doubts about using AV gas all I can say is try it.......I noticed a big difference in all my classics......be your own judge.......

Why would AVGAS be more volatile than race gas? Isn't the FAA doing it's job? Normally aviation parts etc are stronger, safer, more stringently tested than anything except the space program stuff.

Higher octane?

Personally, I've had good luck with octane boost in my '69 Shelby with 11.2:1 compression. Been running it since 2006. I do however double up on the dosage.

I know it's working because without it, the engine will ping under load.

Just one guys experience.

I run 91 regular pump gas in an 11:1 engine without issue ever. Sounds to me like these old iron engines really have a heat soak and head chamber design issue possibly which drastically effects their pre ignition. Octane doesn't add power. It just make the flash point higher is my understanding. Yes if you are having issues with detonation and add more octane is should help the problem.

The higher the octane the higher its resistance to detonation, ie, its less volatile depending on what you mean by that term. Adding higher octane to an engine designed to run on lower octane will actually decrease performance because it burns more slowly and is harder to ignite.

Higher octane fuels take more pressure before they auto ignite which is why you use higher octane for higher compression. Auto-ignition is what cause ping..its the fuel exploding without the presence of the spark brought on by the heat of compression.

You can do it (if needed) but jet up. AV gas is typically less dense and will require larger jet so you maintain the required BSFC for lb of fuel/HP needed.

I run it mainly to help protect the valves because of the lead content. However, I noticed right off the bat using AVGas that the car started easier even though I run non-ethanol 92 gas. I mix 2.5 gals of AVGas per 10 gals of 92 non-ethanol gas. Works for me.

I just used my last 40 litres of it in my 500 stroker six pack, runs like a dream! NO pinging at all, and yes, it smells great! (also highly illegal here in Oz for a street car to use it, can't even buy it without an ANDRA licence!)

Auto Transport Service
Back