• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Using filler on engines, rear ends etc ?

Cranky

Banned Henchman #27
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:08 AM
Reaction score
I want to do some smoothing on an 8 3/4 and am wondering how fillers do on things that get hot. Also, if it's ok to use fillers on this stuff, would it be better to apply a couple of coats of epoxy primer first or the filler then primer all of it? The rough pitted areas will be sand blasted 1st.

I would definitely use the filler right over the freshly blasted areas then sand and prime. I've known folks who have used filler on engines and axles with great success when the filler is mixed properly and applied right on the bare metal. I don't recall the filler types though

After blasting is done soak the housing in Phosphoric acid to remove remaining pit rust. When its done the remaining rust will turn black. You can also soak it in Molasses at a dilution of 1:4 usually 3 to 4 days. Rinse dry then clean with Wax and grease remover until all signs of grease are gone. Apply 2 coats of Epoxy then use Clausen z Glass. Shape till happy.

Hi Mr. Cranky,
Found this article in an old High Performance Mopar.

6-6-15 001.jpg6-6-15 002.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

6-6-15 003.jpg6-6-15 004.jpg

6-6-15 005.jpg

6-6-15 006.jpg

Hi Mr. Cranky,
Found this article in an old High Performance Mopar.
I remember that article! If Cranky can read that he's got Superman eyes. If the surface is prepped right, I would think bondo would hold and work? Good Luck

I remember that article! If Cranky can read that he's got Superman eyes. If the surface is prepped right, I would think bondo would hold and work? Good Luck
LOL Yeah, I blew it up a bit plus put on a stronger pair of readers! I also remember that article now and the Roach runner. Damn, I'm getting old :( Thanks for all the replies and think I have a handle on what to do with it. Also have some of these products on the shelf but some of them are getting kinda old too....

If you have really deep pits on the rear you might want to try some J.B. Weld or epoxy puddy? That's what I should have done last week when I finished mine. I put New XHD springs on and cleaned and painted the rear end and drive shaft. I buffed everything off with paint stripping wheels. Cleaned everything off then primed and painted. I used zinc paint on the drive shaft.

After blasting is done soak the housing in Phosphoric acid to remove remaining pit rust. When its done the remaining rust will turn black. You can also soak it in Molasses at a dilution of 1:4 usually 3 to 4 days. Rinse dry then clean with Wax and grease remover until all signs of grease are gone. Apply 2 coats of Epoxy then use Clausen z Glass. Shape till happy.

^^ This

I ended up blasting the whole housing yesterday and there isn't anymore rust pits! :) It wasn't as bad off as I thought.

I use the old school "All Metal" aluminum body filler. The stuff goes on smooth, sticks to all metals and sands well. It will outlast Bondo and is easy to work with. Sounds like you won't need it but still good to know.

Auto Transport Service
Back