• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

using the A/C heater system from a low mileage, wrecked car

munger77

Local time
5:48 AM
Reaction score
besides vintage air; classic auto air, have you used the AC/heater box and components out of a 2008-2016 JEEP, chrysler mini van; dodge neon; camaro; or other low mileage car that has been totalled?
Prices are very reasonable - just wondering about your thoughts.

Well, it would be a project. First, you'd have to adapt it to the firewall. Mounting studs, hangers, and matching up the fresh air duct, and more holes for the evaporator and heater core. Is your car already AC equipped? Then you'd have to figure out controls. Much of the newer stuff you mentioned is tied into the CAN buss of other aspect of the body control, the actuators are electric, some cycle at every start to verify feedback position, etc. You'd need a similar sized system - a Neon evaporator and metering device from a car with relatively "tight" weatherstripping and cabin air infiltration may not cool a 69 B body with whistling windows.

On the other hand, a size-matched system from the 134a era is likely well sorted as a package - you could achieve good performance more efficiently the the power-eating RV2 piston compressors.

In the end, the effort may equal the Classic Air retrofit system that uses the original A/C box with newer under hood parts.

Thanks very much for your info. I have a '68 original AC car(driver not show) and I do have the original compressor installed, but hooked up to nothing. Other than the heater "box" or "shell" under the dash which is empty but mint, every other aspect of the system is unrestored and 50 years old in pieces in a bin. Being a convertible, the AC would only be for my wife on 95+ degree days.
1. I can add heat for $300 and drive all winter in Atlanta. I'm thinking of spending $300 for heat only (summit generic heater system 20,000 BTU I can install myself) vs.
2. $2000 for AC/heat. Don't think the AC system is worth $1700 additional to me right now(cannot install myself).

I am a big fan of Chryslers original system, so I'm just a little biased. It is well-designed. It is also expensive to restore, heater core for AC cars is around 250, another 100 to rebuild the valve unless you do it yourself w the NAPA gasket.

Hmm that sounds reasonable to me if it was designed well. I Didn’t know.

I am a big fan of Chryslers original system, so I'm just a little biased. It is well-designed. It is also expensive to restore, heater core for AC cars is around 250, another 100 to rebuild the valve unless you do it yourself w the NAPA gasket.
Demonic, curious where you sourced your ac heater core from... I suspect I'll be needing to purchase one soon.

TIA.

Ian

In my 73 Satty turned RR Clone, I used the factory AC and the late model Gen 3 parts. Here is a rough list of parts I used.

• Heater/AC Box rebuild kit from Detroit Muscle Technologies (all the foam and instructions to clean and reseal the box)
  • New reproduction AC Evaporator (I think you're calling it an AC Heater core)
  • Gen 3 Hemi A/C compressor (could use your original if your not gen 3 swapped)
  • Gen 3 Hemi A/C compressor fitting adapters (makes them standard threads, you shouldn't need them)
  • Universal A/C Condenser (measure your radiator opening, install in front of core support, bought off ebay)
  • Universal A/C Dryer
  • Trinary Switch (kicks the electric fans on/off with system pressure)
  • Reproduction expansion valve to go on the firewall inlet
  • Cold Hose and required fittings. (The fittings require crimping, luckily my buddy does hotrod swaps everyday and has the crimping tool.)
I haven't fired mine up yet as its a wonderful central Illinois winter but we pulled it to a vacuum and it maintained it, so lord willing and the creek doesn't rise, I should have ice cold air next summer.

I have as much money in my A/C system as I would have with running a vintage air system, however what I have is a factory sized evaporator (about 3 times what a vintage air evaporator is) and full size condenser that will use all the incoming air to cool the charge rather that the small condensers you often see that allow air to go around them and wont cool as well in extreme heat or traffic.

I wanted to use a late model system, however the fitting are specialized o-ring systems that the factory installs and it isn't possible to find the adapters.

Hope this helps!

Sounds like a major PITA but possible I'm sure. Any vehicle specific A/C unit is engineered to fit the particular vehicle duct work included so it would be a task to say the least.

Auto Transport Service
Back