• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USPS is great, and not so great

Durandal25

Local time
9:44 AM
Reaction score
Team,

As I often do, I buy stuff from our awesome community and many of those folks pay the USPS to ship. My local post office in Mansfield often sends items to the incorrect address or just looses them, and case in point I'll add a tracking for a part that's been in the system for weeks and just now got updated after hours of calling and documentation on my part. I was polite and communicated to various levels of management in person and on the phone....but was treated like crap at many steps by various employees. I finally got tired of it, and wrote an e-mail to the USPS's watch dog in Austin Texas....and wow, they called me an hour later with a promise to resolve the issue....so after almost three weeks of nothing, the next day the package is en route again.....

July 10, 2020, 7:14 am
Arrived at Post Office
MANSFIELD, TX 76063
Your item arrived at the Post Office at 7:14 am on July 10, 2020 in MANSFIELD, TX 76063.
July 10, 2020, 3:53 am
Departed USPS Regional Facility
FORT WORTH TX DISTRIBUTION CENTER
July 9, 2020, 7:52 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility
June 24, 2020, 9:06 am
Forwarded
KEENE, TX
June 24, 2020, 9:04 am
Arrived at USPS Facility
KEENE, TX 76059
June 24, 2020, 7:19 am
Arrived at Post Office
KEENE, TX 76059
June 24, 2020, 7:04 am
Arrived at USPS Facility
MANSFIELD, TX 76063
June 23, 2020, 11:12 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility
June 23, 2020
In Transit to Next Facility
June 22, 2020, 2:49 pm
Departed Post Office
RICHFIELD, PA 17086
June 22, 2020, 2:10 pm
USPS in possession of item
RICHFIELD, PA 17086
June 21, 2020, 11:33 pm
Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item
RICHFIELD, PA 17086

I'm guessing it's probably NOT funny!:mad:
...the funny part of it is, The USPS did this again the other day with some felts I ordered from another member....except that time the issue was they said it was delivered to my address....yet......it was not. I was home...and, I have RING. So I called....and they told me they have GPS on these packages...and that it showed delivered....I asked for that data, and they told me to piss off. Package showed up next day.....

I really like my local PO. Always get good service. Not cheap anymore but, a lot better than UPS and FEDEX. If the powers that be get rid of the PO, kiss your daily mail delivery good bye.
Mike

I've found service differs widely between "stations" and employees.

Some are great, others suck.

I used to send out dozens of "certificate of mailing" letters (one step below certified mail).
I had been doing this at the same, small station near my workplace for a couple years.
Once I had the need to do it at the station nearest my home.
When I got to the counter, I got a lecture about not filling out my complete address in the area that was "for my records", on all 18 forms, and told I would need to get out of line and fill them out. When I asked why, if no one sees that but me, I was told that "you could lie and say you mailed them from a different address". W T F ???

I never did that from there again, and haven't had an issue since.

What I want to know about the USPS is why do some workers wear a uniform and others don’t? Seems to me that ALL should wear a uniform!

Couple years ago had an order from Jegs that I really wanted quickly, USPS sent it to a small town in southern Minnesota, not my Metro area location. Apparently their scanner mis-identified the zip code. Took a few days to get to me. Told Jegs not to ship my orders via USPS, they agreed & have sent UPS or FedEx since.

Ours here seems to be great service

both UPS & USPS (even FedEx or DHL)

the one thing they do get right :poke:

our local USPS & local UPS drivers
both live right down the street, not that that helps in transit
until it gets near here...

My biggest gripe is getting stuff from Amazon. One shipment that was weeks late, Amazon refunded my money saying it was probably lost and 3 days later it was delivered. Got the shipment free plus didn't have to pay for the product. Ok, I'm ok with that.

Two weeks ago wife ordered something coming from Carrollton Tx to Weatherford Tx, about an hour and a half drive. It showed up two days ago after going to Calif. USPS Bought something from DMI. Did the two day shipping USPS. Got to Fort Worth in one day. Took three days to get to weatherford. Thirty minute drive for me.

Still waiting on that crossmember that Rani sent me about 3 years ago!

Didn't anyone hear? It is no longer a requirement for USPS employees to actually be able to read and write in English! :D………...Just kidding. I live in a very rural area of NJ and this state does everything back-asswards!
In the last 48 years and with all 4 addresses I lived at, my actual address and even town was never where I actually lived! On my current road, the house numbers go up and down in both directions!?! No one around me can figure it out. If a package is too big to be left at my house I have to go 10 miles to the next towns post office instead of 4 miles to my actual post office. Actually, I found out the reason; they divide up the mail routes to even out the load from area to area. I can't complain because the USPS folks who deliver to me have been great and even when they aren't supposed to, they will bring a package to my front door and ring the bell. My driveway is shared and approx. the length of a drag strip,(1320) and back in the woods. Some FEDEX drivers are scared to go down my driveway in the winter as they are afraid they won't be able to turn around. In the last 30 years I've been where I am, only one package was lost and only for 4 days. It turns out that it was delivered to my neighbors house,(further down my driveway) , and he forgot about it! No biggy. I do feel sorry for the people who backfill the local people when they are out sick or on vacation. They always go nuts! :screwy: The poor suckers. I always tip the drivers if I am home when they deliver. I believe it might have something to do with the good service I have gotten used to. :)

I really like my local PO. Always get good service. Not cheap anymore but, a lot better than UPS and FEDEX. If the powers that be get rid of the PO, kiss your daily mail delivery good bye.
Mike

Good god, what would we ever do without those penny savers, thrift store fliers, real estate agency pamphlets and other junk mail? Does anyone actually use mail services? There's this thing called email.

I personally haven't used USPS in ages; they're an anachronism staffed with arrogant workers who are complete dicks because their jobs are guaranteed and their performance doesnt matter. If the USPS folded tomorrow I would never notice, except my mailbox would be free of junk mail.

The solution to mail services, like most other things, is to privatize mail delivery and take the ******* government out of it. When you put workers who know that they could be out of a job if their performance isn't up to par, you'll get better results...

Last edited:
The solution to mail services, like most other things, is to privatize mail delivery and take the ******* government out of it. When you put workers who know that they could be out of a job if their performance isn't up to par, you'll get better results...

Yes, but if you replace them with union workers they won’t be much if any better. Most union workers I’m sure are fine but the union looks out for the dregs of the work force.

The USPS has been privatized for many years. Guess I don't know if they are union, I suppose so. But not Federal workers. My mail workers are really good in general. Generally pleasant. We had a time a couple years ago that delivery dropped to couple days a week. Asked the guy at the PO why, they were low on staff & couldn't get workers to deal with the hours. Been MUCH better since then. Pleasant & helpful.

Auto Transport Service
Back