• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vacation

5.7 hemi

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:49 AM
Reaction score
Let’s keep politics out of this.........

Since “thousands” of people are working from home due to COVID, using their printers, computer(s), electricity, paper and such, will those expenses be deductible for taxes in 2020? What about the space that is being used in the home?

Let’s hear it!!

Last edited:
Let’s keep politics out of this.........

Since “thousands” of people are working from home due to COVID, using their printers, computer(s), electricity, paper and such, will those expenses be deductible for taxes in 2020? What about the space that is being used in the home?

Let’s hear it!!
What does the tile have to do with the question?

What does the tile have to do with the question?
Say what? Willis?

Any self employed person can deduct home office expenses including supplies. While doing business/work for a company you work for I would expect them to cover that. Bet they don't though. Before this started, working from home was a perk, was seen as a thing that "you GET to do" woohoo!. This is different though, not sure what the IRS says about this scenario. Be a great question for your tax preparer, like H&R Block etc....

Read three reputable websites and they all agree that under current regs only the self employed may deduct. and there are parameters that must be met. This is a great question to burn up the phone line to your Senator with.

I'll bet we will be able to claim it.

Question came up on our local news last night. Simply put - no. Not under current tax code. Lots of things need to be met like a permanent, dedicated space being used. PA has always had a bit more provision for this. Keep your receipts, it could change until tax time.
@5.7 hemi - what does your question have to do with ‘vacation’?

Since millions are now on “vacation” from work and some are working from home, I just thought “vacation” was the proper word to use since your not at work. That is all.

Well let’s just look at what the Feds did.......moved the April 15th tax day to June or July. My wife has been working from home since March, that could be 5 months of her using “our” resources to do a job for the company she works for.

You bet your *** I’m gonna do everything thing I can to “claim” expenses because of this spun the **** out of control CoVid 19 crap.

Millions of people are gonna want to do the same, just another consequence of the “government” going off the rails with this lockdown.

you will need proof
if your wife or you are reimbursed for the work at home suppies
you have to claim that too
do you have a franchise tax board # ?
or is it just a way to keep your job/income ?
is it a real business ?
or just having to work from home ?
(still being paid for your time & still have a job)
& you buy a few office supplies, that the company should reimburse you for ?
not sure how much you spend

proof;
you better be able to show how much is for work or business vs private use
or it will be denied as a write off, expense against you income
show how much or what % is actual personal use
& how much is business/work related use
is there dedicated phone lines or is it a co. paid phone ?
is there dedicated IP addresses for co. only use ?
or your private/home IP internet access account etc. ?
if not it's personal use, you may be able to apply a % to business/work

you better have your ducks in a row
better have a good CPA
or know what your doing when filing
or it will send red flags up big-time
(even under Covid-19 BS)

billing statements with company name
or just a portion % can be applied to
paper, printer ink cartridges, internet, land line phone/cell phone,
electricity, portion of the house/rent, to a dedicated office
(not a hobby/personal office with a computer & gaming devices etc.)
even have some depreciation on equipment/furniture
all over a certain period of time

too many people try to scam the State or the IRS with home office stuff
especially as an employee of a different business, at a different address
but now working from home, when you still work for them

they (State & IRS) know all to well, how to break it down

you can't/shouldn't double dip either, you can't write something off
for personal use & business use too, doesn't work that way

talk to a good trusted Tax rep., CPA, Accountant or go to the State or IRS site
see 1st hand what criteria is needed

I've had a home office for over 20+ years
you can't deduct much, if it's shared with your private life
very small amounts, it's hardly worth it

big red flag for an AUDIT

Last edited:
Thats a good point. My wife is working from home. So who do I bill for table space and equipment use. Every other week. For some time to come.

I’m sure that somebody with a higher pay grade than I will say something about this work at home for your company business.

It depends upon the agreement with the company. I got reimbursed expenses by the company I was working for. Some of it was just built in the salary. If anyone fall into that category check with the company you are working for. Just don't be to surprised if they figure your working at home a company perk. After all you are no longer commuting. Those working for a salary just remember your on the clock for what ever time it takes to get your job done on top of what ever hours they expect you to be available. So it all boils do to you may have been expected to work for home or were ever to begin with.

Lots of people here are being told they should be thankful to still have a job, and not whine about the cost of some paper, or using their home internet. It is different if you have to 'rent extra space' or hire equipment....and then only the self-employed or contractors could claim under current tax laws.

Like @Budnicks says above....better have your "ducks in a row" if your thinking about claiming for something you have never have claimed for before. Audits can be cruel and very unforgiving.

Belinda Carlisle......smoking hot back in the day!!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back