• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vacuum Actuators

Charger Ted

Local time
8:17 AM
Reaction score
Not sure if this post belongs here or in the 66-67 Charger forum but here goes. My A/C has two of the 3 Vac Actuators working. All three actuators work as I have swapped the lines from a working one to the non-working one, it operates. I am now checking the vac line to see if it is clogged. The line has a connector to connect the line from the control to a short line to the actuator itself. That plastic connector looks as if one end is plugged with a little bit sticking out the end. I am uploading a picture. Does any one know if I can just push a wire thru and open it up or not.

TIA
Charger Ted

Be careful as they break off easily.

Your control is both vaccum and electrical. The lines run from the control switch to the actuators. If they're spliced it will not be factory. These control switches get very brittle being 54-55 years old. When I find a working one in a parts car I either remove the lines from the actuators or cut them about 6" from the switch rather than break the nipples off on the switch.

I am not talking about the control unit above the radio on 66 Charger. What I am talking about is a small white connector in the vacuum line that splices the two sections together about 4 inches from the actuator. Subsequent to my posting I put one end in a cup of water and got bubbles when I blew. Turned around and again got bubbles, so it is not blocked. Right now I just put the vac line to the actuator and put everything back together, except for the little white piece I'm talking about. It looks like the actuator is trying to work, defrost doors open somewhat but I am not sure it is any difference than before. The actuator I am talking about is controlled by Vac lines 2 and 4. I'm going back out to look at other lines to see if that item is in any other lines.
TIA
Ted

That is most likely a factory restrictor that slows the action of the defrost actuator. Check the schematics, not sure on your model, but mine (69) has restrictor. I have also found these actuators leak vacuum until they are fully open or closed, so that may impact the defrost action. Also, check for linkage binding. For what is worth I've never been able to get my defrost actuator to fully extend, opening the doors.

Auto Transport Service
Back