• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vacuum Actuators

dspur

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:55 AM
Reaction score
Rebuilding the heater / ac box. (69 Dodge Super Bee). All was very rusty. The three actuators move (I can clean the rust) and seem to hold vacuum, but move very slowly. I can't find replacements so if you have a source please let me know. How could / should I go about making these work like they should.

Thanks in advance.

Photo Dec 18, 2 42 31 PM.jpg

Put vacuum caps on the connections & throw them in Evaporust overnight...

Yeah I have soaked part of the shafts. I can try that too. Someone somewhere, may have been on social media, to soak in 1/3 pine sol and 1/2 water. Not sure what that does.

You need to he careful with the rubber shaft seal, once its compromised it wont hold vacuum on that side. I've got a like new AC actuator (long rod with the kinks) that I dont need if your interested.

You need to he careful with the rubber shaft seal, once its compromised it wont hold vacuum on that side. I've got a like new AC actuator (long rod with the kinks) that I dont need if your interested.
Thanks. What are you asking?

$150 plus shipping. There are two currently on Ebay in the same condition, one priced lower, the other higher.

20220115_084727.jpg

As long as the seal is not ripped there are ways to make them work again. If it leaks too much around the shaft simply take a strand of wire and wrap it around the rubber six or eight times then twist it off and lock it down with some weatherstrip adhesive. The pressure of the wire wrapped around adds a little more grab on the shaft. If it leaks because the rubber is hard and does not seal against the metal diaphragm anymore same thing with weather adhesive sealing around the rubber with the weatherstrip Adhesive will usually seal them up good.

I have some if you wind up needing them

Rebuilding the heater / ac box. (69 Dodge Super Bee). All was very rusty. The three actuators move (I can clean the rust) and seem to hold vacuum, but move very slowly. I can't find replacements so if you have a source please let me know. How could / should I go about making these work like they should.

Thanks in advance.

View attachment 1223583
I would have to see them in action to see how slowly they move. You need to remember, vacuum is pretty weak, 29.92" is perfect compared to pressure (like out of a air hose) Also vacuum as you apply it, is a slow build up if you use a hand held pump. Of course the actuator will operate slowly. Compare the small size of the pump to the volume of the chamber and remember you have to override the spring pressure so the movement will take time. If the shafts are free and the diaphragms hold vacuum and not leak down, You should be golden.

As long as the seal is not ripped there are ways to make them work again. If it leaks too much around the shaft simply take a strand of wire and wrap it around the rubber six or eight times then twist it off and lock it down with some weatherstrip adhesive. The pressure of the wire wrapped around adds a little more grab on the shaft. If it leaks because the rubber is hard and does not seal against the metal diaphragm anymore same thing with weather adhesive sealing around the rubber with the weatherstrip Adhesive will usually seal them up good.
Thanks much. Will try that once I get them all cleaned up.

Auto Transport Service
Back