• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vacuum canister

Charger1969B

Local time
9:46 PM
Reaction score
I have a 1969 Charger R/T with a 440hp, and am planning on converting the vacuum headlight over to an electric style actuated conversion setup. My question is does the vacuum canister provide the additional vacuum for anything other than the hidden headlights. I can't tell whether or not if after the conversion the vacuum canister will be necessary for anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The reservoir provided by the can ensures a quick opening for the lamps. Probably a safety/ engineering issue from the factory.
Mike

If you have power brakes and ever plan on changing cams to something more radical, I would keep the canister.

The vacuum canister only provided vacuum for the headlight doors. Mostly to close them after the engine had been shut down. The canister has a built in one-way valve to accomplish holding the vacuum for that purpose. If you convert to electric, your canister will not be needed. The one-way valve has more than likely failed after 50 years anyhow. Mine will close the doors if I don't wait more than a minute or two.

Auto Transport Service
Back