• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vacuum cannister arm stamp

wedgie

Local time
3:15 AM
Reaction score
My original '63 318 sistributor vacuum canister is bad. The arm is stamped with a 10. Is that the amount of vacuum required or the advance amount? I can't seem to find a 10. Closest is 10.5, then 11, 12 etc.

Believe it is the total advance amount when full vacuum is applied. I would think the 10.5 would be fine. Run the 10.5 and never look back.

Believe it is the total advance amount when full vacuum is applied. I would think the 10.5 would be fine. Run the 10.5 and never look back.
Remember its DISTRIBUTOR ADVANCE AMOUNT....its 2x that number in crankshaft degrees. For a low performance 318 engine, 10.5 or 11 would be just fine IMO....the tension of the internal spring in the diaphragm assembly determines the RATE of advance while the link determines the total vacuum advance.
BOB RENTON

Last edited:
Thank you for the replies. I found, and purchased an advance unit with 10X stamped on the arm. Not sure about the X, but the unit is supposed to be correct for a 1962 318.
Thanks again.
John

Auto Transport Service
Back