• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vacuum lines-Need help and or advice/opinions

rrTor-Red

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:16 PM
Reaction score
I'm putting together my motor. The engine has Mopar Performance valve covers and air cleaner. Carb is a Quick Fuel. Carb is not fully installed, just for mock up. Have questions about the vacuum lines on it.

1. Vacuum advance on distributor goes to the side of the carb (?)

2. PVC line goes to the front of the carb(?)

3. Breather on the passenger side- Have a 3 nipple one and was planning on replacing the chrome one that came with the engine:
1. One goes to the vapor separator
2. larger one goes to the air cleaner- What to do with this one(?). Drill hole in the MP cleaner and put it in or something?
3. #3 nipple. Does it go to the vacuum port on the manifold?
4. OR keep the chrome one yet what do do with the vacuum?

Or, do I need to source a 2 nipple breather? Advice/opinions?

Thanks 470.jpg470(2).jpg

Distributor goes to the ported vacuum outlet. Lets see a shot of the rh side of the carb and one of the baseplate. Back fitting on carb can be pcv or power brake. Front fitting the same as long as its a 3/8". Its better if the pcv and pb hook into those spots instead of the one intake runner, see the plug on #7, so one cylinder isn't taking the brunt of the load and is spread around equally to the other cylinders.

Carb.jpg

This is another pix of the carb. Don't have one of the right side nor a close up. I do have a vacuum port for this on the back of the manifold. Yes, has power brakes
Vacuum fitting.jpg
2014-12-12 16.43.46.jpg

Not at home right now to get more pictures

You'll find some argument here, for a performance motor the distributor plugs into manifold vacuum (there's 2 small nipples on the carb, 1 is timed and 1 is manifold). The timed vacuum port is for the distributor but in most performance applications you want an initial setting that allows easy starts but have the vacuum advance pull in advance as soon as it starts. I run a breather only on one valve cover and plug the pcv into the back of the carb ( big nipple) on the other side. Nothing is plumbed to my air cleaner. Brake booster is plumbed directly to the manifold.

You'll find some argument here, for a performance motor the distributor plugs into manifold vacuum (there's 2 small nipples on the carb, 1 is timed and 1 is manifold). The timed vacuum port is for the distributor but in most performance applications you want an initial setting that allows easy starts but have the vacuum advance pull in advance as soon as it starts. I run a breather only on one valve cover and plug the pcv into the back of the carb ( big nipple) on the other side. Nothing is plumbed to my air cleaner. Brake booster is plumbed directly to the manifold.

X2.. Same way I have my cars setup.

What to do with the vapor separator hard line in the engine compartment?

Is that a vacuum fitting on the front metering block rh side of the carb? If so, that is the ported vacuum for the distributor. If its not a fitting, take a picture of the carb flipped over so I can see the throttle plate.

Is that a vacuum fitting on the front metering block rh side of the carb? If so, that is the ported vacuum for the distributor. If its not a fitting, take a picture of the carb flipped over so I can see the throttle plate.

I'll take a picture as soon as I can of the underside of the carb. I cannot right now due to out of town for a length of time for work.

Should I leave the breather on the motor or put an original looking one on, or similar? The car has the vapor separator tank in the left rear wheel well. Just wanted to get some of the things figured out so when I get home I can have a productive time working on my car before I might have to go out of town again.

Thanks to all

can anyone tell me where to attach the vacuum line from the dual snorkle 383 (holley carb) air breather?
there are no vacuum ports on the intake. There is one on back pass side of orig holley carb that is capped off? Is this where it attaches too? just a standard version, not an air grabber..

If it's in the breather assembly that should go to crank case ventilation on the valve cover.

Auto Transport Service
Back