• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vacuum supply from engine to under dash

Vanderstel

Local time
8:57 AM
Reaction score
I have a 67 Satellite, 318 with factory AC. But I've removed the engine side AC components for the time being. I'm planning on a Vintage Air or something. But my question is about vacuum supply from the engine to the heater controls under dash.

Where do the vacuum line or lines go from the engine to the dash? I've got a service manual, but I can't see to see where that is described.

Pictures would help ;)

Most aftermarket A/C systems do not use vacuum to operate.

On my 67 383 car, the vacuum line tees off the brake booster port near the back of the intake and goes thru the firewall bottom left side of the voltage regulator. I think small blocks are the same, but not certain.

20220423_113958.jpg

I do think they still use the vacuum to operate the doors.

I do think they still use the vacuum to operate the doors.

Not on Classic for sure all servo motors or cables. I am just about 100 percent sure Vintage is the same. Now if you are using the factory inside the car components with an aftermarket under the hood kit that is different.

if you look closely at the photo, you'll see the vac tee where the large hose goes to the brake booster. Then you can have one, two, three, whatever, small outlets for other applications. You can get different tee's.

I converted my '64 Polara to Vintage Air. No vacuum needed; everything is electric motors.

I assumed the hvac unit was original, otherwise why would you want vacuum to the cab. Vacuum gauge?

Out of curiosity, are you planning on replacing everything under the dash including the evaporator, damper actuators, housing and the refrigerant lines, compressor, condenser OR just the compressor (with a Sunden), its mounting, interconnecting hoses and the refrigerant (R-134A). Does the under dash operate correctly? If reusing your old evaporator and condenser coils, to flush them using a recommended flushing compound to remove all traces of old refrigerant oil as it is not compatible with R-134A. Also remember to replace the old dryer as it contains several ounces of oil. The hoses should be replaced, but, some say not entirely necessary and All O-rings (green) compatible with the polyol ester refrigerant oil.
BOB RENTON

I was just checking to see if floor, windshield vents work properly, not a long term solution. Thanks all for the input.

Auto Transport Service
Back