• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vacuum tube to EGR melted, chunk sucked into carb port!

DemonDave

Local time
10:11 AM
Reaction score
I was out driving my '73 Satellite today and it was running awesome... until it wasn't. The car suddenly fell on its face and would barely run, and wouldn't idle at all. I was able to nurse the car home since I wasn't far but it was a terrible two-pedal ordeal to keep it alive and get it home.

After an underhood look-see, I found the vacuum line that connects to the EGR melted through with a good 1/4 inch of rubber missing. I replaced the hose assuming it would be all better but it's not. It runs a bit better and will idle, but just barely... thing sounds like a Harley now... with one bad cylinder. I'm worried that the chunk of melted rubber is now inside of the vacuum port of the carb (original Holley 2210 2bbl) creating a low-vacuum scenario for the EGR valve which is now causing the running issues. I remember owning a Ramcharger once that had an EGR valve failure... the truck wouldn't do anything!

So what should I do? I was thinking about starting by sucking on the hose and trying to get the foreign material out but I have no idea where the port goes inside of the carb and if I can even do that. I guess the other option is to remove the carb from the car and take it all apart? I'd really rather not but if I have to?

Help!

IMG_2681.jpeg

What in the world melted the line ?
Did it lean on the exhaust manifold ?
Probably going to need to take carb apart to see what it looks like.

First of all, when it's running, can you feel any vacuum from the nipple that fed that hose? That will give you a clue as to whether it has an obstruction inside.

What in the world melted the line ?
Did it lean on the exhaust manifold ?
Probably going to need to take carb apart to see what it looks like.

It was resting on the steel choke plate on the iron manifold.

First of all, when it's running, can you feel any vacuum from the nipple that fed that hose? That will give you a clue as to whether it has an obstruction inside.

I'm going to investigate this morning, I ran out of daylight yesterday.

Auto Transport Service
Back