• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valentine’s Day buy, burnt under hood 66 Belvedere

Pedalpusher

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:11 PM
Reaction score
Bought the car on Valentine’s Day. Car had a small fire under hood. Had no idea if engine even ran, only went by what seller had said. Been getting parts rounded up, trying to stay a head of the game. Then March came, surprise inventory date @ work. Father & daughter birthdays, very hectic month. Today the engine runs, 361, smooth surprisingly. Have a strange sound on passenger side of engine, like a mini air pump? Thought maybe alternator, no belt, magic sound still there. Drove car couple of miles, still no license plate, shifts great, no strange noises. Had replaced trans pan gasket, have a slight leak still @ 2 middle front bolts, are wet, all the rest dry? Dipstick & seal at linkage lever seem fine. Also odd…. my dad 20 years Chevrolet tech, when asked why your son is a Mopar guy, his answer….”the Mail man must have slipped in” pointed out the driver side of engine is higher than passenger, put a straight edge on it almost an 1” higher. Motor mounts seem fine, noticed no adjustment, bolt through mount at K member. Still a work in progress, still need wiper motor & clean soot on driver side engine compartment. Came with chrome valve covers, personally not a chrome kinda guy. Have factory covers, intake, air cleaner & set of new headers. When done, next go around is steering & front suspension.
Been since 1988, I have had a Plymouth. Personally I think the Chrysler engineering was far superior than other name plates. Have started looking at engine parts, goal this time next year will have a thumper under the hood. Leaning towards a 400, aluminum head, hydraulic roller. The car it self will be will be ready for it then. This forum has helped me out in many ways & saved me money. A lot of intelligent Mopar guys on here, I thank you.

Ron

7119FE7B-3067-4D2E-B8CB-FB98F511F783.jpeg

Dead, that's the best way to buy them. You sure have it cleaned up great.

my dad 20 years Chevrolet tech, when asked why your son is a Mopar guy, his answer….”the Mail man must have slipped in” pointed out the driver side of engine is higher than passenger, put a straight edge on it almost an 1” higher.

Have you shown him how the engine is closer to the passenger side than the driver's side in the engine compartment? That'll blow his mind.
:lol:

How about pics of the rest of the car? So far looks great. Glad you saved it.

This afternoon, sheriff inspection, title transfer & plates, everything went smooth. The lady that did transfer said…. Oh I have to come out & see your Plymouth. Was going to take a few pics & post when got back home. Total 6 mile trip & about a mile from home, engine miss. Number 2 cylinder not firing. Believe I have found my air pump noise. Plug looks good, swapped holes with #1, same. Plenty of spark, switched wires as well. Believe I have a burnt exhaust valve.

Auto Transport Service
Back