• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Value of 65 727-floor cable shift, slip yoke transmission

64SF

Local time
6:32 PM
Reaction score
Will be attending an all Mopar show/swap meet and will be taking some parts to sell.

One of the items will be big block 727, floor cable shift, slip yoke transmission. I’ve read in 65 Chrysler switched from the flange yoke to the slip yoke and 65 was the last year of the cable shift.

The transmission is in excellent condition and worked when I pulled it. I’m converting to a 4 speed and no longer need the transmission. I want to place a fair price on the unit and am looking for suggestions. Thanks.

The hard part to find is the case, for a big block. I've found that casting part numbers for the BB and SB are the same for the valve bodies, so that makes them a little easier to find. I've been picking up pieces where I can, and because the early to mid 60's 318 poly cars all had 727's instead of 904's I'm finding that those are all good pieces (internals) and slip tailstocks in the small block trannys. However, the big block cases are few and far between (for me anyway).
Pricewise, there was a woman on RacingJunk a while back that had a complete rebuilt BB727, '65 only slip joint cable shift that was ready to use.... I think she wanted $400 for it, and she swore it was a bargain. I agree, but she was in MO, would not ship, and was too far out for me. I cant seem to find that ad, so I don't know if that units still floating around for sale. I also know that the shops no longer have cores for those that specific trans, so if you need anything hard parts, it's call and horse-trade, or you better have a core to provide, so that must raise the $$ value $$ a ways. My 2 cents.

***EDIT*** This is the same seller that had that trans, just in case it helps anyone. Shes been trying to sell this car too, and it sure looks good to me;
https://www.racingjunk.com/1960-197...ch=727&quickSearch=1&np_offset=20&from=search

Last edited:
The case is easier to find than the one-year tail housing and shaft.

Maybe true. The case is not a '65 only thing, but the tail is. I did mean to say that at least you can snag the tailstock and shaft from a small block '65 727. There are definitely a few junker '65 cars floating around anyway. For the case, 62, 63, 64, and 65 BB are the same part correct???

Pretty slim market. Only someone doing an OE restoration or drives that year of car and needs a trans will be a potential customer. The restoration customer would only want it for a core. The guy/girl who has a driver is just looking for something that works. The market always dictates the price. Take offers and decide if you want to sell it or store it.

DSC_3704.JPG
Any 727 65 tail shaft and housing will convert a earlier flange type to slip yoke. 65 BB cores usually go for $300-$400. If you race a push button equipped car these are the trans of choice.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back