• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valve cover gasket good practices

Moparfiend

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:27 AM
Reaction score
So I have a new set of rubber Mhale valve cover gaskets with my newly painted stock stamped covers that I am going to install.

I have had good luck with gluing with Gasgacinch the gaskets to the covers but was wondering what methods you guys use to get a good seal with the ability to pull them and reassemble them when needed. ie what are your good practices that help.
And yes I actually use a torque wrench to put these on.......

I’ve glued them the valve cover with weather strip adhesive before. Usually reusing doesn’t go well with gaskets that are not designed for reuse. In my experience.

I picked up a trick from my engine builder to use weatherstrip adhesive and attach the gasket to the valve cover and have the ability to remove and reinstall the cover with no problems and no leaks! I use a rubber gasket as well.

I’ve glued them the valve cover with weather strip adhesive before. Usually reusing doesn’t go well with gaskets that are not designed for reuse. In my experience.
If they are not cork but rubber like mine then I would think they are reusable.

Yes small block are those steel reinforced?
Yup, just put a pair on my 318 Coronet last summer.

Skip to 1:25 to bypass my mundane blather. :rolleyes:

Before that, I put a set on my 180,000 mile Ramcharger.
Should have grabbed them before I junked it now that I think about it. :(

Last edited:
After you glue the gasket to the cover stick some 1/4" bolts through the holes to keep the gasket inline and let them set overnight before install.
I just use regular old napa gasket sealer to glue them to the covers.

If they are not cork but rubber like mine then I would think they are reusable.
I never had a lot of luck with rubber. I use cork mostly anymore. They compress and usually stick to the head side the long they’re installed. I can usually take them on/off when I’m setting and engine up but after it heat cycles a bunch of times it’s no good.

I never had a lot of luck with rubber. I use cork mostly anymore. They compress and usually stick to the head side the long they’re installed. I can usually take them on/off when I’m setting and engine up but after it heat cycles a bunch of times it’s no good.
Yeah thats why I am not going with cork.

Auto Transport Service
Back