• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valve cover gasket leak

696pack

Local time
2:52 PM
Reaction score
I have recently installed the Mopar Performance black and aluminum valve covers on my 440 and they are leaking oil. The shop has asked me to provide the metal reinforced rubber gaskets but I have been reading many contridictory things about what gaskets work and which don't for these covers. What is YOUR real hands on experience for no leaks with these covers?

i have never had any luck with chrome valve covers. they say they will seal if you scuff the bottoms up but i could never get them to seal. i have always just used felpro gaskets. the cork type valve cover gaskets and never had any problem

i have never had any luck with chrome valve covers. they say they will seal if you scuff the bottoms up but i could never get them to seal. i have always just used felpro gaskets. the cork type valve cover gaskets and never had any problem

Mine are NOT chrome valve covers.

I went from the cast aluminum to powder coated steel and use the rubber coated fiber and have tiny leak but not as bad as the cast covers had cork never worked either, neither did the $50 gaskets by moroso. Looking back I just used the factory style ones from Rockauto ad they seem to be fine - rubber / fiber. I think it's all about the set up time of the RTV and how much etc etc... it's like a perfect science if you get it wrong the stuff in the beaker explodes lmao

oh and do not over torque the bolts! warping the covers will make it leak.

Did you use the gaskets that came with the covers? When I put my MP aluminum valve covers on I threw the original ones right in the trash. Got some Fel-Pros instead. It's been so long ago I don't remember which ones they were, cork or not. They have been on since '98 with no leaks.
I also got longer bolts, the supplied ones weren't nearly long enough.

i use regular ole felpro cork gaskets on my mopar performance covers and they have never leaked. ive even taken them on and off at least 5 times. no sealer , put on dry. when you tighten them , you should always run down each bolt a little at a time equally . over tightening them will cause problems as well

Dose anyone know the correct torque for the valve covers? I think I'mm over tightening, It's a 1970 440.
I have the original stamped steel and still have a leak at the right rear at # 8 cyl.
The covers are straight and I have tried a few types of gaskets and still no luck.
Thanks in advance.

Dose anyone know the correct torque for the valve covers? I think I'mm over tightening, It's a 1970 440.
I have the original stamped steel and still have a leak at the right rear at # 8 cyl.
The covers are straight and I have tried a few types of gaskets and still no luck.
Thanks in advance.

my FSM says 10 lbs

I run the Feel-Pro cork type gaskets on my aluminum VC with permatex black aviation glue to hold the gaskets to the covers.I removed all the paint on the rail of the head and installed the covers to the head w/o any sealant. Never had any leaks. I also installed studs in the heads and use the largest flat washer that will fit in the covers. Use a set screw in the head, set down about 1/2"," then install the studs with locktight and they will stay put while removing the fastners. Doesn't look original, but it works for me.

i use regular ole felpro cork gaskets on my mopar performance covers and they have never leaked. ive even taken them on and off at least 5 times. no sealer , put on dry. when you tighten them , you should always run down each bolt a little at a time equally . over tightening them will cause problems as well
I also use Fel-Pro cork gaskets with aluminum covers, I usually put a little spray on sealer on the valve cover side of the gasket and leave the other side dry. When you remove the valve cover next time, the gasket will stay on the cover and can be reused several times if you don't over tighten them. A lot of guys overtighten the cover bolts and squish the gasket. It doesn't take much to seal it. Over time you will get a feel for how tight they should be.

i have seen the wrinkle finnish crack and cause leeks you cant see to find.just grind down to the bare aluminum were they meet the gaskets.

I had same situation. Use rubber gaskets, but first coat valve cover with sealant. insert gasket (careful it stays flat) and place it gasket side down on a flat surface. Place weight on top til sealer sets. Then apply light coat of sealer on head and install.
Works every time

Auto Transport Service
Back