• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valve Spring Compressor

khryslerkid

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:35 PM
Reaction score
I guess I've been out of the loop too long. I use to have a Blue Point years back but it was stolen along with some other items.
So I rent one from Advance Auto, C-type with an adjustable pin. I think I hurt myself trying to remove and install a spring for a mock up. It's not going to hold up.

So what's the one to get now days? I'm not wanting to spend a lot, for the fact that I don't need one every day. Would the Preformance be strong enough, for 50 bucks?
Would the Comp cams rocker mount work on the bench too?
wmr-w89409_w-1-1.jpg
cca-5324-1-1.jpg

How does the geometry look on this set up?
2016-04-11 18.15.16.jpg

Last edited:
I guess I've been out of the loop too long. I use to have a Blue Point years back but it was stolen along with some other items.
So I rent one from Advance Auto, C-type with an adjustable pin. I think I hurt myself trying to remove and install a spring for a mock up. It's not going to hold up.

So what's the one to get now days? I'm not wanting to spend a lot, for the fact that I don't need one every day. Would the Preformance be strong enough, for 50 bucks?
Would the Comp cams rocker mount work on the bench too?
View attachment 330737 View attachment 330738
How does the geometry look on this set up?
View attachment 330740
I've done some fairly strong springs with a similar compressor.The comp. one,I would be afraid of bending a valve doing it on a bench.Without spacing it up and bolting the head down.And I would say you need a longer rocker.The sweep across the valve tip looks to be to long.Dare I say,shim the shaft?As the rocker shaft is raised it will move the rocker tip towards the center the valve.Or a longer rocker.

I had Crane rockers on there and they are shorter than the Erson. Is there too much valve stem showing? They are the shorter overall measurement valves. (4.870) To shim the shafts are not out of the question.

2016-04-11 18.16.14.jpg

I had Crane rockers on there and they are shorter than the Erson. Is there too much valve stem showing? They are the shorter overall measurement valves. (4.870) To shim the shafts are not out of the question.

View attachment 330774
Shimming the shafts is the old way.I hate doing it that way,cause it will distort the shaft.The shaft will sit on just the corners of the pedestals instead of the machined surface.It won't be cradled.So I have either machined the pedestals off and made blocks or chased rockers until I found ones that were close,then cheat a little with pushrod lengths.Even lash caps.Andy Finkbiener has a good book that covers this.

440 Source has these for shims. I have the heavy tube, Elgin Industries, shafts. Made in China but they won't distort and have a nice finish, no mill scale.
1271020-1.jpg

Last edited:
Yha I bought mine at Summit also.
It did our 850lbs springs super easy. The only thing is it doesn't lock once over center so you'll have to hold it, which isn't a big deal when taking the springs off. When putting the springs on I'm going to just use a small strap to hold the lever while putting the locks on.

The springs I'm dealing with are around 350lbs.
Shouldn't be a problem. If it is, I'll fab up a lock of some kind to hold it for me.

I never thought this engine build was going to take this much research for parts and tools. It never use to be this involved. I guess this generation of cars got left behind in all of the newer technology.

Thank God, there are die hards out there keeping it going. I'm having fun!

Last edited:
Well I found the package on my front porch early this morning. So I thought I'd give it a try and it works great. Made short work out of one head in about ten minutes. It took me about three trys at finding the right hole adjustment but after that it was a breeze. Very fine increments with the choices in hole selection too. It has plenty of leverage and holding the handle while removing the keepers is not a problem. Great tool!

Well I found the package on my front porch early this morning. So I thought I'd give it a try and it works great. Made short work out of one head in about ten minutes. It took me about three trys at finding the right hole adjustment but after that it was a breeze. Very fine increments with the choices in hole selection too. It has plenty of leverage and holding the handle while removing the keepers is not a problem. Great tool!

:thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back