• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valve Spring removal via air compressor help

72Charger440

Local time
6:49 AM
Reaction score
So im in the process of putting a new cam in. I am trying to remove the inner springs so i can break in the cam.

So I removed the spark plug in number 8 cylinder and screwed in my air adapter. Once i open my ball valve to allow air to enter it pushes the piston back down. I can tell because my harmonic balancer rotates as well. How do i fix this?

Additional info: belts have already been removed, 440, spark plugs are a killing me and im still not even sure how im gonna get them all out haha

thanks in advance!!

I've removed valve springs with the piston down in the hole before. You can always slide a piece of hose on both halves of a set of needle nose vice grips to hold the valve stem if you're scared.

Feed a good length of rope into the hole and bring the piston up and forget about using air is another alternative.

If you put the piston at TDC, it will stay there

Use a length of thin rope (1/4" or so) thru the spark plug hole, and move the piston up as far as it will go (firing stroke); that will hold the valves up.

beerestoration2017 031.JPG
beerestoration2017 032.JPG

Totally agree with you dadsbee,
Would like to personal message you to find out more about your Super bee project.
looking for info for my build hope you don't mind.
Thank You dcmason69

If only one plug is removed, the shafts are removed as well and being an automatic in park, can someone explain how that's even possible??? With a pistons going down you have others that apply equal or greater force going back up with all the valves closed.
What is your regulator set at?

Totally agree with you dadsbee,
Would like to personal message you to find out more about your Super bee project.
looking for info for my build hope you don't mind.
Thank You dcmason69
No need to PM me, the completion of the restoration is in the members restoration section
https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/1969-dodge-super-bee-coupe-restoration.145777/
and the complete start to finish is here.. http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,121731.0.html

The reason for the air is to hold the valves closed while you’re working on the springs.
Makes no difference if the piston is up or down.

Thanks for all the advice. Any tips on removing the other spark plugs? The engine is in the car still

Edit: attempted to compress valve spring and it would push the valve open. i can hear/feel air coming from top of carburetor

What are you using to compress the spring? Are yo using a proper spring compressor like Dadsbee pic he posted?

Put a socket like 3/4" upside down on the retainer and smack it with a hammer to loosen the locks.

Edit: attempted to compress valve spring and it would push the valve open. i can hear/feel air coming from top of carburetor

What is your compressor pressure?

As mentioned, whack the retainer.

Auto Transport Service
Back