• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vapor lock really pi$$@!$ me off

Rusty knuckles

Local time
6:47 AM
Reaction score
Took my 71 charger for a drive yesterday. Haven't driven it much the last couple years and want to get back to cruising with it. Had my 2 year old daughter with me too because she loves going for rides. I drove about 15 miles, put a little gas in it and was driving again and she starts vapor locking on me. Finally dies. My brother's house was only a couple miles away so asked him to come give me a pull there. Wound up leaving the charger there overnight. Driving home it vapor locked again.

This modern fuel is absolute ****. I drove this car daily for a summer around 2007 and it always ran perfect. Now it's vapor locking like hell. I'll be putting an electric pump on it now but **** me it's frustrating. Completely stock system that never gave me issues and now it's not good enough.

The fuels today are not formulated to resist boiling since it is not needed any more with FI.

A couple of things that may help:
1) Check the routing of your fuel line from your fuel pump to your carb. Make sure it touches no hot engine components (or exhaust for that matter). Keep it as far away from the heads as you can, since these get the hottest after exhaust. If you have rubber lines, I'd get rid of as much as possible so the whole fuel line "hangs in space".

2) Use an insulating spacer under the carb. I resisted trying one for my 73 Road Runner, but when I added one, it helped.

3) Block off the heat crossover from the heads to the exhaust manifold. This requires a manifold removal and it will slow the car warming up, but it helps keep the carb cool.

4) Install a fuel/ gas separator and have gas plumed into a return line back to the tank. Do this as close to the carb as practical. Your 71 should have a return line already.

I'm sure I missed some and folks will chime in to add more.

Vapor lock is a frustrating pain in the a$$. Good luck getting it addressed so you can enjoy the car with your daughter!

I hear ya. We've been dealing with this in California for over a decade with our extremely high ethanol content fuel. You can read all the threads on this, but the key is to keep the heat away from the carb. Wrap all of your underhood fuel lines with high heat sleeves and add at least a 1/2" thick plastic or wood spacer under the carb. If your hood clearance will allow it, adding a 3/4" or 1" spacer is even better. The spacer and line insulation will help a lot.

HawkRod also pointed out one I forgot - the return line to the tank. I also added a 3 nipple fuel filter with one of those plumbed as a return line back to the tank. Most mechanics will tell you that a return line is only needed for EFI. That's BS. I and many others have found a return line with today's fuels to be very beneficial when used with a carb setup. It keeps the fuel continuously flowing which helps keep it cooler.

Man that sucks!
I've never had a problem with it, out here where I can be driving in temps of 90-100 with our 91 pump on an RB stroker making 600-neigborhood for power. I'm not sure exactly why that is since so many have complained of the issue that you're having. I use a Carter mechanical pump, 3/8" feed and no return line. Like the Hawk said in his point #1, I wrapped the line with that DEI-brand adhesive insulating tape wherever it runs along the exhaust.
I have had it percolate in the carb bowls after shutdown before, but that's not vapor lock and it never caused the car to die but I did put a phenolic spacer on the RPM intake I used to run, and that was that. Good luck getting it nailed!

I had great success with putting an electric fuel pump right by the tank on my 69 charger. Completely cured my vapor lock problems there. That's probably where I will start on the 71 too. Just frustrating the car never had an issue 10-15 years ago and now I can barely get to town with it. Always pride myself on having cars in tip top running shape.

On my car the problem area is the fuel pump does not have air flowing past it and headers are adding heat.

Also having a pressure regulator that has a return line helps keep fuel moving taking a little heat with it.

Uncle Tony showing 10% methanol gas boiling at 140 degrees, also mentioned back in the old days that gas was made to resist vapor lock and boiled at 210 degrees.

I had a similar issue with my 318. It just wouldn't start when hot. I wrapped the fuel line in a heat sleeve half way back to the tank, even wrapping the fuel filters and pump. It stopped the problem.

I haven't tried this fuel filter but a lot of people swear by them when it comes to preventing vapor lock. You just need a return line back to the tank.

images-8.jpeg

20230508_194421.jpg

SCA_397970_hi-res.jpg

I hear ya. We've been dealing with this in California for over a decade with our extremely high ethanol content fuel. You can read all the threads on this, but the key is to keep the heat away from the carb. Wrap all of your underhood fuel lines with high heat sleeves and add at least a 1/2" thick plastic or wood spacer under the carb. If your hood clearance will allow it, adding a 3/4" or 1" spacer is even better. The spacer and line insulation will help a lot.

HawkRod also pointed out one I forgot - the return line to the tank. I also added a 3 nipple fuel filter with one of those plumbed as a return line back to the tank. Most mechanics will tell you that a return line is only needed for EFI. That's BS. I and many others have found a return line with today's fuels to be very beneficial when used with a carb setup. It keeps the fuel continuously flowing which helps keep it cooler.
Yep...

old set up, with the iron heads
it still had a choke stove & the factory heat crossover
MP Alum 6bbl intake
& stock style steel 6bbl fuel lines, except from the reg to carbs
& that line was wrapped with DEI heat shield
had a Carter 8psi mechanical org.
(Holley 8.5psi hi-volume 180gph, after the Carter died)
I added an Aeromotive SS 14psi 175gph electric fuel pump
& big canister with a replaceable filter back by the tank
AN stuff between them
I just wrapped the incoming carbs fuel lines from the bypass reg
to help with heat soak
& a bypass line going back to the tank, keep the fuel constantly flowing & cool
even in 100*+ heat
this old street/strip setup was nowhere near
the 'heat & HP' of the new set-up, can produce
& up at altitudes, all the issues, are all compounded/worse

I was doing preventative measures even back then

68 RR #24 479ci-6bbl org. ps.JPG

new stuff I don't like the look of fuel lines as much
sort of busy
Also I went/switched to Edelbrock RPM Alum. Heads (mildly ported)
they have no heat crossover
but it (AN stuff) cured any & all fuel heat issues & starvation at high RPM too
Added phenolic spacers (I went 1" but don't need that much)
I don't have any hood clearance issues, some may have
it's a low-deck & has an A12 liftoff hood
AN lines/fittings & thick Russell (Armorgaurd ? from like 2007) #6 AN Hose
not ever even a hint of vapor lock, NOW
I had to sacraficed the choke stove rod/connection
I don't really need it here anyway (may make a new one sometime later)
lines DEI wrapped where near, any heat source

(granted for an all-OE look, you can't do it, that's someone else's issue)
I did most of it on this specific combo back in 2016
no heat-soak or vapor-lock ever anymore,
even with the crappy summer fuel blends, lots of (corn liquor) 'ethynol content' 91 oct.
even driving at 7,000+ altitudes, where all the problems are compounded

68 RR #29 479ci-6bbl #6 AN lines & phenolic spacers ps.JPG

68 RR #27 479ci-6bbl #6 AN spacers front.JPG

My intake temps are in the 110*-120* range, after driving, not 200*+ & then heat-soaking

Grant you, I have an electric 35gph water-pump & it's in an Edelbrock alum. housing
I use Purple Ice in the radiator (water wetter type additives) & 50% antifreeze Bee-Cool
almost no heat off the rad. hoses,
from a 3 core large tube down flow, thicker custom 22" Alum. radiator
& 2) Perma Cool alum. blade electric fans,
everything ran thru relays fuses & arming switches
1) 16" 3,500cfm puller, in a custom shroud, it does the main job
& 1) 13" 2,950cfm pusher "just in case"... I rarely ever even turned it on

It runs at like 180* even in 100*+ Calif. summer days (it can get to 110* up here)
unless I'm hammering it hard :poke:
then it gets to just under 200* (maybe) & I can turn on the pusher fan,
cool it back down fast

I know my style of build, isn't like most here (I know it looks a lil' busy too)
but it works, works great, especially on my "thermal nuclear underhood heat device"
big HP makes big heat, you have to combat it in someway
& take precautions too

I know I went overboard,
but it never does that heat-soak crap or vapor lock 'ever'
I absolutely hate that ****, and refuse to succumb to it, 'ever'...

it really likes the fresh cool air coming in that A12 scoop,
thru the 3" K&N filter so it can breathe too
68 RR #30 A-12 6bbl pan & fresh air air-cleaner w-phenolic spacers.JPG

your results may vary

Last edited:
I have NEVER had a car vapour lock while driving it! Shut down hot and try to start, yes. How old is your fuel pump?? I am more likely to suspect a cracked diaphragm or worn down push rod.

I have NEVER had a car vapour lock while driving it! Shut down hot and try to start, yes. How old is your fuel pump?? I am more likely to suspect a cracked diaphragm or worn down push rod.
Wouldn't a cracked diaphragm remain constant and not go away when the car cools off?

Wouldn't a cracked diaphragm remain constant and not go away when the car cools off?
Probably not, but it's dying for some reason when driving. Driving mine, car died after backing off to go through an S turn and with some coaxing I managed to restart it and we actually cruised for 40 miles after that and made it home. In this condition it was still pumping gas. Parked it and wouldn't start again, period. Tore it apart to find a piece of diaphram jammed the check valve open.

I've just never seen a car die from vapour lock when on the move! Stuck carb floats flooding an engine YES, fuel pumps dying YES, Ignition systems overheating and crapping out YES, vapour lock Never.

beefuelpumpissue 056.JPG

beefuelpumpissue 057.JPG

I suppose it's possible. I've got a newish mechanical pump on the shelf I could throw on easy enough.

Took my 71 charger for a drive yesterday. Haven't driven it much the last couple years and want to get back to cruising with it. Had my 2 year old daughter with me too because she loves going for rides. I drove about 15 miles, put a little gas in it and was driving again and she starts vapor locking on me. Finally dies. My brother's house was only a couple miles away so asked him to come give me a pull there. Wound up leaving the charger there overnight. Driving home it vapor locked again.

This modern fuel is absolute ****. I drove this car daily for a summer around 2007 and it always ran perfect. Now it's vapor locking like hell. I'll be putting an electric pump on it now but **** me it's frustrating. Completely stock system that never gave me issues and now it's not good enough.
Yes today's fuels are puppy pee. A electric pump by itself may not cure your vapor lock depending where it is happening at in the system. Just as a for instance, a closed heat riser valve can cause the fuel in the carb to overheat and boil. A thicker gasket or heat insulator may help but not cure the issue. Edelbrock/Carter carbs with thin gaskets seem to be more prone to fuel boiling. A fuel filter close to the carb with a built in return line does about the best job as long as the heat riser is working properly.

maybe a simple 'heat sheild' if the carb is boiling or percolating
they work too
especially after sitting
if the carb is OK & pump is OK & rod is OK

or just for added insurance if you live in a region,
where it actually gets hot

Below all are from Summit Racing, right click on the photos it has part #s
all are for square-bore patterns (Holley Carter Edelbrock/Webber)

Holley sells a couple different styles, thin one like $42

Holley Carburetor Heat shield oer-3969835 $43.99.jpg

another like $44 .250 in. gasket & shield

Holley Caruretor Heat Shiled .250 thick gaskets hly-108-70 $44.05.jpg

Quickfuel sells one too a bit 'more $$' $114 'Heat Insulation kit'
more $$ for the fancy name
comes with a thin spacer, square-bore pattern pan & gaskets needed

Holley Carb Heat Shields Quickfuel Isnulator qft-300-4013 $114.95.jpg

Mr. Gasket does too like $44
Holley Carb Heat shield Mr. Gasket .500 mrg-3710 $42.63.jpg

Last edited:
So I'm tinkering with it now. I think I may have found the culprit. When I went to take off the suction side fuel hose to change the pump, I heard like a vacuum release sound. I think it's possible my fuel cap wasn't venting properly. I'm trying it again right now idling in the garage.

Edit: fuel cap venting definitely not the issue. Still at vapor locking.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back