• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vent wing gap

mopar4don

Local time
6:47 PM
Reaction score
Working on my 69 charger panel gaps. I installed an AMD door skin (which has not been welded) I thought I should put the vent wing in and noticed this 1/2 inch gap. There is no other weather stripping installed.

Does this look right?
20220320_142259.jpg

20220320_142319.jpg

You need to consider the weatherstrip channel that fits into the opening and the drip rail trim coming down from the top. I can measure mine.

That's what I was saying. I was just heading out to the shop to take a picture and measure. Looks like you have your answer.
I think so. Sure would be nice to have another car here to look at! I could answer most of my questions!
Here is another.....
Should I have the door glass in when working on the gaps?
What about the quarter glass?

WOW the questions never end!!!

Don...... when I line up doors, I focus only on the sheet metal. There should be enough adjustment in the glass to make it all fit. I did replace a roof on a car that was pretty bent; in that case I test fit the vent window frames; but that was an extreme circumstance. I have 2 B bodies here, but both are in partial mock up without vent window frames, so I can't offer anything to compare to

Don...... when I line up doors, I focus only on the sheet metal. There should be enough adjustment in the glass to make it all fit. I did replace a roof on a car that was pretty bent; in that case I test fit the vent window frames; but that was an extreme circumstance. I have 2 B bodies here, but both are in partial mock up without vent window frames, so I can't offer anything to compare to
So like I said I put skins on the doors but did not weld the hems. This lets me rack the door to get good profile alignment.
I have the wings in checking everything. Mostly cause I don't know what I can get away with!
Anyway what I noticed is when I bolt the wing in, it racks the door and throws the profile alignment off. Which I can't seem to get back until I loosen the bolt.
Eldubb have you ever seen this?
Not sure what to do

So like I said I put skins on the doors but did not weld the hems. This lets me rack the door to get good profile alignment.
I have the wings in checking everything. Mostly cause I don't know what I can get away with!
Anyway what I noticed is when I bolt the wing in, it racks the door and throws the profile alignment off. Which I can't seem to get back until I loosen the bolt.
Eldubb have you ever seen this?
Not sure what to do

you need to rack the door into alignment with the rocker and the quarter and put 2 or 3 tack welds (skin to frame) to secure it........ then fit the vent window..... beware that when you twist (rack) the door, it will also affect the height at the rear of the door where it meets the quarter....... the 2 or 3 tacks will hold it extremely rigid........bottom line, you need a rigid door properly aligned to the car before you can deal with glass and vent windows

you need to rack the door into alignment with the rocker and the quarter and put 2 or 3 tack welds (skin to frame) to secure it........ then fit the vent window..... beware that when you twist (rack) the door, it will also affect the height at the rear of the door where it meets the quarter....... the 2 or 3 tacks will hold it extremely rigid........bottom line, you need a rigid door properly aligned to the car before you can deal with glass and vent windows
That's what I wanted to know!
I will give that a try.
Thank you

Auto Transport Service
Back