• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ventilation

coronet340

Local time
5:59 PM
Reaction score
I need to paint a fender, hood, bumper cover and small grille all off the car. I'm worried painting it in my 2 car garage will stink up the house for days. I don't really have any big fans to push the air out. Will this be as big of an issue as I think?

I will be wearing a respirator. It's just a beater car and I could use the practice painting. But I'm not sure if I should or just farm it out.

Thanks

What type of spray gun are you planning to use? The older style binks / devilbiss puts out alot of overspray, as compared to the newer HVLP types. Ive done a few driveway type jobs on my own cars to save $$ with decent results, flying debris (dust and bugs)are the biggest problem. PPE is a must, nasty stuff once it gets into the lungs. Overspray and fumes are gonna make their way into the house in some form. Standard wally world type of house fans have an open electrical arc, and can ignite fumes with the right conditions. I say this so your aware, as many have done it with no problems. use your own judgement here. Pro or semi pro spray booths have belt driven exhaust type units to prevent this, and thats what I intend to use. Eventually I plan on a fold out semi permanent booth set up for myself, lots of ideas here, hope this helps, and good luck with your project.
http://www.homemadetools.net/category/paint-booths

I stick a small box fan in a window facing into the house to put air pressure inside and crack the garage door. Works good.

It is a newer hplv gun. And I thought about doing it in the drive but I live in a heavily treed cul de sac so I think I might piss off the neighbors. Lol

Unfortunately no windows in the garage.

When I say " in the house", I mean the living quarters not the garage. If the living quarters is pressurized air will be trying to force itself out towards the garage. Opening Windows in the house on the windward side will do it a well.

What type of paint are you using? Single stage or base/clear? If it's for a beater just shoot it in the driveway on a day when the wind is at a minimum. Wet down the drive too. You are going to get a little trash in the paint but if it is for a beater who cares. There are guys fixing bumper covers for used car dealers and they shoot these outside. Try to use a fast dry clear to keep trash at a minimum. Good luck.

Wet the floor down and get a squeegee/ broom to pull the dust out and use a furnace filter on the open window.... keep anything with silicone or oily spray a mile away... you could open the garage door and make a make shift frame and plastics up the place good so you don't pull dust through.... the prep is every thing get denatured alcohol and wash everything down in the paint room you use or touch or paint very very thoroughly and Make it impassable so no one mistakenly walks in on you and tyvex suit.... go around the car as if you are painting it to see where your hoses tangle and reach so you don't get hung up and have issues mid way through.

- - - Updated - - -

Practice on a beater but do it right and get into good habits as if it's a show car then you will be Happier and not waste paint and people will think you paid to have it done.. don't add not reducer than recommend because it will effect it badly. The heat and humidity for the amount you have measure carefully.... like a pro don't make excuses... doing it out side when you have a garage is stupid and if you have neighbors they my not like the over spray everywhere... use some cheap fluorescent lights in places neer the floor so you can really see and they hold the plastic down too... practice on a simular surface first and paint through the job the first coat barely covers and the last coat as well if it drys slow it will wet together better if to runs or drips let it dry and sand it out don't try and fix it wet it only makes more mess.... the other way than a good set up as described is to use a roller and some flat paint like chalk board paint and get some colors chalk for all the kids to have fun with....

Auto Transport Service
Back