• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Very long distance animal rescue

Sahara

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:24 AM
Reaction score
Way North Canada. Polar Bear shaped license plates
Many of you have seen the beginning of this story develop in another thread.
Here’s the full story. I hope it inspires you. If you’re one of those angry, negative people this probably isn’t the thread for you. It’s a long drawn out story.
First the back story.
As I get older I find myself becoming more compassionate. It’s funny, because I’m also becoming one of those crabby old guys that has no patience for what I consider to be stupid people. I thus prefer the company of animals to people. My wife and I have been taking in assorted rescue animals for more then two decades. Not every one, but there are certainly some that we feel have been sent to us because nobody would appreciate them but us. We sometimes feel that nobody would appreciate us but them.
The last few weeks we have been in Mazatlan, Mexico. We go there a few times a year to stay at a friends place. This time we discovered a small cat living in the roof of the outbuilding. I went out one morning to see a pair of eyes carefully watching me from the safety of one of the rafters. A little head would slowly rise up, make eye contact, then slowly drop down. This went on for several minutes. Over the next day or so this was repeated several times, until the head would just stay up and watch me. As soon as I moved the cat would vanish. Gradually it would show itself, but vanish when I came near.
One morning I’m in the back patio having my coffee when I see a little body beside me, watching warily. When I move it flees. Over the course of a few days it gradually trusts me to the point that it would lie on my lap. As we got to know it it becomes apparent that this was someone’s cat, lost or abandoned. We go to a shelter to see if we can leave it there, and I leave in tears. There are countless lost and abandoned animals there. These aren’t feral, they were someone’s pet at some time. They can’t really take this one as all shelters are full of animals. So my wife and I decide to try to take this one home.
We go to Paws of Love vet clinic. They examine the cat and give it the shots and certificates necessary to cross the border. Their service and attitude is exceptional.
We book air passage for the cat to come home with us on Westjet. Their ticket people were super supportive. The stewardess ultimately helped us as well. They were amazing.
The customs guys at the airport were fantastic, and waved the fees. On the drive part of the way home I stop to get gas. I look for a small bottle of water for the cat. The guy behind the counter says they only have large bottles, but they are two for one. I remark that I only need a small quantity for our cat in the car. He raises his eyebrows, then disappears into the back room. He soon appears with a small bottle of expensive, imported water. He smiles broadly and says: “This is for your cat. Merry Christmas!”
We arrived home yesterday, safe and sound. We took a cat from Mazatlan, Mexico and flew it to Calgary, Alberta Canada. Then drove it by car to Hay River, Northwest Territories, Canada. It was comparatively easy and inexpensive. We did it, you can to. The one photo is the first day on the roof in Mexico. The other is safe in Canada.
I posted some of this on another thread as it went along. Everyone there was very supportive.

75024F28-98BC-4DA5-92AB-48DA7E798C71.jpeg 1A7E0C59-9C53-45EB-BE78-6B3B141E4E27.jpeg

I love it, great story
I saw it in the other thread too

be a culture shock for the kitty
cold up there compared to where he came from

he looks happy & content :lol:
congrats on your new fury family member
you have my respect :thumbsup:

I do rescues, well I should say fostering,
until they can find a forever home
from time to time
I've kept a few for my family or for me

I'm really selective of whom I will adopt them out to

I fell in love with all of them really
just can't keep them all

I'm really a dog person more, they tear at my heart strings
unconditional love, loyalty
I've had a few cats over the years
most were my sisters or my girls cats, but have nothing against cats

I've done a few birds too, some of them were really bad

I take care of my neighbors cats/dogs or other animals
across the street & both sides of me, when ever they are gone
fish, birds, cats, dogs, turtles, rabbits, lizards

they call me Dr. Dolittle
because I talk to the animal like they are humans
I think they know, when people are animal people

sad that people just dump animals like they're nothing
so many of them just need a chance

Last edited:
Thank you for the kind words, I appreciate them. I dunno if you believe in
God, or a God, or whatever. I do.
I believe that he has sent me these animals that no one else appreciates.
He doesn’t send them all to me, just the ones that I can handle.
I had one cat that was so abused it took two years of love just to get it so you could be near it.
That cat had suffered unimaginable abuse that it didn’t deserve. I think I was sent it because nobody else would put two years of effort into loving it.
This current cat was someone’s pet and was abandoned. It’s a beautiful, peaceful creature.
I’m not being arrogant when I say that I was sent it because it deserves a better life.
I can’t save them all, but I can save some.

Great story. Good on ya for being such a good steward of Gods' critters!

:thumbsup: You did it !!! THANKS I'll be more concerned about the temperature shock, poor cat now he's freezing his paws :lol:
Here's another of my rescues, I found this little princess in an abandoned house but I found her a new home in an avocado field on the house of the keepers.

20191217_163636.jpg 20191217_163653.jpg

I think that there are more of us then we think, sometimes. The help and expressions of support that we received during this process were very inspiring. The guys on this site were very encouraging, and many admit to doing the same thing.
I’ve done many terrible things in my life. I’ve killed more animals then I can save.
But that doesn’t mean I can’t change.

What a language shock for the cat. Going from rolling "r's" to "Eh".

Very nice story and congrats on the new member of the family.:thumbsup:

My wife and I adopted a rescue puppy a year ago in October. What a wonderful dog. My wife now fosters till they go for a new adoption home. She is picking up two pups in 3 hours as there are about 40 unwanted dogs coming from North Canada to a rescue. Will post pictures later. You are very kind to give the cat a loving home.

God remembers people like you. As as dog/animal lover myself, stories like this touch the heart. Even a crabby old man like me !

The new crew.
Dec 2019 123.jpg
Dec 2019 081.jpg
The new crew. 2nd pic is the one we adopted last year. Sarhara looks like the cat found a great home.
Dec 2019 123.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back