• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

vibration...ahhhh!!!

evanbrendel

Local time
12:17 AM
Reaction score
i put ss rear leafs on my car and everything is tight and i cant figure this out i rebuilt the whole front end and had it alined its in the floor anyway not the steering wheel i put pinion angle shims in also with adjustable snubber balanced the tires all new spring and hanger bushings at the same time also....so my qustion is could the u joints have messed up with the new springs since they are about the only thing i havent replaced and it didnt start this vibration untill i changed the springs.

When I raised the rear of my bel 2 I had to angle the pinion down to reduce the vibration. It seemed back wards at the time but it worked.

thats what i did today i put 2 1/2 degree shims in it and its better but not fixed i was thinking maybe the vibration ruined a already weak u joint?

i put ss rear leafs on my car and everything is tight and i cant figure this out i rebuilt the whole front end and had it alined its in the floor anyway not the steering wheel i put pinion angle shims in also with adjustable snubber balanced the tires all new spring and hanger bushings at the same time also....so my qustion is could the u joints have messed up with the new springs since they are about the only thing i havent replaced and it didnt start this vibration untill i changed the springs.

It sounds like you have the pinion angle wrong. Take it to a reputable drive line shop and have them look over what you have.

This kind of thing happens when you start screwing with the geometry of the factory suspension. It happens ALL of the time when guys start lifting their
4X4 trucks and Jeeps. It can become very dangerous not only for handling and braking, but will add undo stress on your driveline and you can start breaking U joints and suddenly seals start leaking.

The manufacturers employ engineers to make an auto work as a unit as designed. This is why we have proportioning valves in brake system, and springs are designed with specific load carrying capacities at specific ride heights. Racers have been modifing these characteristics for years for better traction and desired handling specifically for drag racing, but will be the first to tell you that it is not necessarily SAFE for the street.

yes but its mopar performance springs for my car if i have to i will put more shims in it or cut the mounts off and weld them on at a different angle i guess. i know you need the pinion angle down cuz under full aceleration you want it inline with the driveshaft but i dont know what to set it at not under load. . i am a broke 21yo i cant aford anyone else to work on my car lol

the pinion anle should be 2-2.5 degrees nose down to the driveshaft-not the ground or the body. buy a magnetic 360 degree protractor from the hardware store, measure the angle of the driveshaft versus the angle of the pinion and thats your ACTUAL pinion angle.

well its about 3 lower but the front u joint caps in the yoke move on the u joint more than i would expect so i hope thats the culprit

Auto Transport Service
Back