• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vin error from the factory?!?!

MoMoMopar

Local time
7:04 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone else seen an error in vins matching from the factory? The only reason I'm thinking it's from the factory is it's only off by 1. Let's say the door sticker and dash vin are 123456, and the 2 legible body vins are 123446. Is this possible? I see it being almost impossible to find such a close matching number on purpose.

I understand what your saying but I dont think it can happen.Ive never heard anyone ever asking that. But I could be wrong. Are you saying radiator support and trunk drip rail are different then vin? engine tranny? what year car?

I have. Human error is possible, even at Chrysler.

Is this a 69-up car that would have a vin on the engine and trans?

More info and pictures would help figure this out.

yes it is possible
I've seen a number off off or even missing numbers/letters in VIN's before

The only one I've ever seen was on an extra fender tag. here is a pic:

goofy fender tag.JPG

The car was a fairly unremarkable 1976 Dodge Coronet 4 door sedan.

All blacked out numbers and letters match, the discrepancy is with the last 2 digits.

most likely a factory error ..

I don’t know which has a more wow factor. The actual reVIN by the factory or the number of spelling errors on the tag.

Thank you for posting and sharing.
I'm thinking they were either in a hurry or some of the words were abbreviated to fit the given space. Given the stamped spelling errors and the noted number correction, I wonder what was the overall build quality of this vehicle.

It was a 5 o'clock beer thirty build.. With the spelling did Alabama have an assembly plant? I'm kidding.

Do not really care how rare would still not buy it here. Would be a nightmare to get platted.

Do not really care how rare would still not buy it here. Would be a nightmare to get platted.
The vin and decal on the door jam match as does the fender tag. I would register it with those known numbers, I doubt the DMV are going to look at repairable parts on a 50 year old core support to scrutinize the validity of the car. People are paranoid.

I don’t know which has a more wow factor. The actual reVIN by the factory or the number of spelling errors on the tag.

Thank you for posting and sharing.
I had to have a second look at that one...thanks. :lol:

@Kern Dog will have a field day with that :poke:

Not tag related, but my '70 GTX only had 2 of 10 factory spot welds actually done correctly on the right hand shock tower. Always wondered why the guy could align the front end ....fixed when it was restored of course. And the radiator support panel was out of square by nearly 2 inches.....must have been welded up by an alcoholic. :)

Auto Transport Service
Back