• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vin error from the factory?!?!

I've also seen missing digits and transposed digits.

On a rare car it can affect value.

Yep. http://iccahome.org/

upload_2019-7-31_8-44-31.png

My 68 Hemi GTX convertible came with an additional blank fender tag under the carpet with HEMI ENGINE stamped in it. I wish I had a picture of it.

In one of those magazine stories about "back in the day" experiences on the assembly line, there was a mention of a new kid on the line who was given the job of operating the stamper for the vin number in the trunk rail area. When the supervisor came by later he noticed the guy had a book to read. When asked when he found the time to read, the kid said it only took a second to stamp the number.
It turned out that he had not been changing the number for each new car, and had been stamping the same number into every car for the previous hour.

The vin and decal on the door jam match as does the fender tag. I would register it with those known numbers, I doubt the DMV are going to look at repairable parts on a 50 year old core support to scrutinize the validity of the car. People are paranoid.
If the number on the tag does not match the title ( that required and important peace of paper ) its like opening a can of worms. If the owner does not have the proper notarized legal docs it could take months and maybe years to get it plated here. Just not worth it.

If the number on the tag does not match the title ( that required and important peace of paper ) its like opening a can of worms. If the owner does not have the proper notarized legal docs it could take months and maybe years to get it plated here. Just not worth it.
Ok I give you that. But the Title should be the same VIN as the one on the dash. And all of the legit numbers on the car he is talking about match. The only ones that do not correspond are the ones on the core support and the one on the trunk lip. He never mentioned the Title. In Georgia all you need is a bill of sale or a title depending on the cars year. I think here its 25 years or older do not require a title. But I'm not sure how the other states do this. But here as long as it has a vin number and you either have the title or bill of sale it will register. You can also have a local cop run the vin to check it. But you have to request this through your local sheriffs department. They then give you a paper signed saying the car is clear and not stolen.

Ok I give you that. But the Title should be the same VIN as the one on the dash. And all of the legit numbers on the car he is talking about match. The only ones that do not correspond are the ones on the core support and the one on the trunk lip. He never mentioned the Title. In Georgia all you need is a bill of sale or a title depending on the cars year. I think here its 25 years or older do not require a title. But I'm not sure how the other states do this. But here as long as it has a vin number and you either have the title or bill of sale it will register. You can also have a local cop run the vin to check it. But you have to request this through your local sheriffs department. They then give you a paper signed saying the car is clear and not stolen.
How lucky you are. But still its never good to find out your just purchased car had been stolen.
We went threw a fascial that lasted a few month with the wives first car. A 68 Charger bought from a friend. The title did not match the id tag. Come to find out there was a time the id tag and vehicle sequence numbers could be different. Fortunately the body stampings matched the title. We were just lucky enough it still had all it original panels.

Auto Transport Service
Back