• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vinyl Top 73 Charger

Randy73

Local time
6:03 AM
Reaction score
How hard is it to remove the trim pieces?

Also, top is already gone, so would you suggest sanding off the glue or would a remover be better?

Thinking about doing the top myself, so any install help would be much appreciated.

Should I do the top, before or after painting?

TIA

Is this an SE "opera window" roof, a half roof, or a "halo" roof?

Opera roofs can be a pain because the rest of the trim is designed around the thickness of the vinyl. I personally like the SE trim around the top.

If you're just replacing the top, you can scrape the glue off. If you're painting the top, I'd use a sander, after I scrape the glue off. Either way, you should be able to scrape it off.

It's not terribly difficult to install the vinyl but I don't know how hard it is to take off your trim on the '73. I did my '71 but it's only a "canopy" (landau) roof. Best thing I can suggest is have a helper!
DSCN0318.jpg

DSCN0319.jpg

Is this an SE "opera window" roof, a half roof, or a "halo" roof?

Opera roofs can be a pain because the rest of the trim is designed around the thickness of the vinyl. I personally like the SE trim around the top.

Sorry, it is a Rallye with full vinyl and trim all around.

I believe his top would be like this with loads of trim....

Charger3.jpg

Either way, when you get the top, let it sit outside in the beautiful florida sun (i'm jealous!!!) for a while, so it gets pliable enough to work with it. it will make life a lot easier...

Don't be to jealous, I am in Birmingham right now.

Any tricks to getting the trim off?

Never removed the trim or applied the vinyl. Something tells me it might call for removing the headliner. I know some, if not all of the trim clips are plastic, but don't know if there is a sealer of some sort used when the clips are pushed into the holes.

Auto Transport Service
Back