• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vinyl top or paint?

davek

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:09 AM
Reaction score
Just wanted to hear your thoughts. If you had to replace your vinyl top would you replace it or paint it instead. This is not a numbers matching car.
moline-iowa-usa-24th-sep-2017-jerry-andrews-of-silvis-pulls-away-in-KWMKFR.jpg
P1020623.JPG

I like the look of the black vinyl on my red 69 Satellite but they're known for holding water and rust. I'm getting rid of mine and going with paint. Kind of scared what i might find when i strip it off because there's one spot with rust bubbles on the sail panel under the vinyl. I'm hoping that's all of it.

Honestly it would look great either way but i would have to go with vinyl.

Vinyl

I love a good vinyl top. Consider one of the new vinyl wrap ones if weary of real vinyl.

Let me be the party pooper here. Paint every time, no question. I've redone my '70 charger completely, it had vinyl top originally but no way was it going to be replaced. Just me.

It's your car, make it what you want. I totally like it either way. I'm personally against vinyl tops in general because of the issues involved with them and weather. If you like the looks of the white top, there is always the option of painting it white from the trim up.

Just a personal opinion, the 68-70 Coronet body looks good either way, but the Chargers from the same era look better with vinyl, as a vast majority of buyers of the 68 felt as well.

I always wonder if there is rust under there. Scares me thinking a roof couldl rot away.

Either way but I would paint it for the ease of cleaning. But if you don't mind doing the extra work on the vinyl top then go that route.

Paint. Roof rot under Vinyl has wrecked more of these cars than you can imagine. The factories pushed vinyl tops as a great deal for one reason and one reason only. They could have less than perfect seam filler on the C pillars and hide it with a top. On paint roof cars the C pillar that to be a lit more perfect. Harder to do in that day and age with lead filler.

Last edited:
If the car came with with one and all the trim is there I go back with vinyl, I like the look. But if a PO has removed everything and went with paint, I leave it that way. When our cars were new , and then got to be clunkers, most sat out in the weather much or all its life. And of course , rot to whatever degree set in. But, chances are if you spend the time, effort, and money to restore/restomod one , it prolly won't be left out in the weather much. Do we really ever own a car, or are we just its current caretaker for a while...

paint I scraped a lot of cars up here in Ont because of rotten roof under the vinyl , there was a guy up here with 70 charger with vinyl top and he brush painted his top a couple times a summer with auto trans fluid , he drove that car for 20 yrs that i knew him . I always expected to hear it had blown off on highway. but it stayed ,

the roof living under vinyl for 50 years may not be worthy of paint..... repairs 100% disappear under new vinyl....... under paint, not so much

I'll take one of each please! I like them both. However, vinyl roofs do have a reputation for rust. I must say I love the white against your purple; it pops!
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

paint.....its still bad *** if its vinyl tho...

Auto Transport Service
Back