• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vinyl top replaced with paint?

TAZZ

Local time
8:49 AM
Reaction score
Anyone here done it? Vinyl top on the 72 Charger we just got is done for. I want to remove it and paint the roof with textured paint maybe. I've done some research and know the glue is gonna be a small problem. I'll have to remove the trim at the rear window and the windshield. What paint system do you guys suggest, have experience with? Any tricks/tips for surface preparation? Not sure on color but I don't think I'll paint it the same color as the rest of the car unless I put some kinda stripe across it or something to break up the color. Car color is Dark Gold Metallic so would be pretty tuff to match anyway I imagine. I'm thinking sand, tan, light saddle colors. NOT black. Input guys? It's been someone else's car for 50 years. Gonna make it mine now! Power bulge hood is a definite. If you've got pictures that would help. Charger with a mod top? :gay: Nah! TIA

Left side my 72 charger 09-22.JPG

Last edited:
I'm not sure how well the adhesion would be, but Schiada boats use a textured gel coat. White holds up on boats forever and looks great, never fades.

You can paint it, cars back then had painted uppers sometimes instead of tops. I can tell you it’s going to be way more work to paint it correctly vs putting another top on. I would not do texture, either gloss or flatten out the clear. Hey, but it’s your car. Get crazy.

Fresh white top and a paint buffing would make that car pop.

In my opinion everything except a new vinyl top will make it look worse.

I just did this on my 74 Charger Rallye. I bought it with the 3/4 canopy black top. The fender tag calls for a white vinyl top. I just couldn't do another vinyl top, especially in white, without knowing what it would look like on the B5 blue with black side stripe. I painted it black with enamel to achieve an orange peel texture. It looks good and won't rust. I told my grandson we can spray it white next, once the black stripes are on, so he can see what it looks like. Fortunately, when I removed the old black vinyl top, there' was no rust underneath. He just wants to drive it to high school now. I don't know if he'll let me paint the roof white with an orange peel texture. Our choice. Once we decide on the long term color, we MIGHT put a vinyl top on.
Terry W.

If it were me (and it's not), I sure would "simply" paint the top the same color as the car, after removing the trim and welding up the holes.

You should be able to get a paint match fairly easily and cheaply, including the fading from a local paint shop with a color match "gun" camera.

I believe that it would affect the ability to sell when the time comes.

Here's a photo of the roof on my 74. I did leave the vinyl top moldings on. Sorry for the quality of the photo. Car is dusty and the building insulation in roof causes a striped effect but you get the idea. If I don't like the orange peel look, I can 600 grit sand it and shoot clear over it or change it to white to match fender tag or reinstall a vinyl top. I had to use a seam sealer in rain gutters as removal of vinyl exposes roof panel seam. I had to glue strips of vinyl on gutter edge to reattach the stainless gutter molding to keep it tight. It can be reversed back to vinyl if wanted. As far as value of car, I don't think it will affect it much being a 3rd generation Charger and a 74. The 71 R/Ts and some 72s, the value may be affected. Leaving the moldings on makes it reversible.
Terry W.

Painted top 1.jpg

Last edited:
You can paint it, cars back then had painted uppers sometimes instead of tops. I can tell you it’s going to be way more work to paint it correctly vs putting another top on. I would not do texture, either gloss or flatten out the clear. Hey, but it’s your car. Get crazy.
My train of thought is with a textured paint it would take less surface prep and would help hide any imperfections. I do appreciate the input.

My train of thought is with a textured paint it would take less surface prep and would help hide any imperfections. I do appreciate the input.
Which is why I did the orange peel semi-gloss black. I just did the normal sanding of the roof with almost no body work. To get rid of some of the gloss, I may use rubbing compound with my buffer to get more of a satin look. Another photo.
Terry W.

Painted Top 2.jpg

Last edited:
I had a '74 duster a while back. It had the Halo top. I took off the top fixed all the bad metal
painted it and put the trim back on. It was F8 car White top. It looked great.

Auto Transport Service
Back