• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Viper Six speed Tranny ? will it fit in a 70 b body ( SuperBird)

moparstuart

Local time
6:38 AM
Reaction score
overland park kansas / Former owner a salvage yard
any experts ? what will i need to buy to make this work in my 70 convertible ?
i can get the tranny ? it is it worth it for me to try and sorce the rest of the parts or should i just buy a 5 or 6 speed kit ???????

Last edited:
From bigblockdart.com from Bill Riley.

It's been eons since I posted in here, but I just finished a second 6spd setup so I was able to finish my little "recipe card" ...

James, I dont think the spring is needed - all the hydraulic clutch pedals in the aftermarket are just pivoting pedals, no spring assist at all.

SwissWill - from the back of the block, the t56 shifter CL is 27".

Viper T56 and T6060 parts and info

If theres a fill plug directly on top right behind bell face, it's a T6060. If no fill plug, it's a T56.

GM/Ford T56/6060 - 8.25 input shaft
Viper T56/6060 - 8.25 input shaft, but 7.25 from bell mounting face. GM bell is 1" deeper than Viper.

TR6060 requires slight clearancing on bottom of quiktime bell. Just a small grinder notch to clear the casting

Quicktime Bell B/RB/Hemi - #RM-8073

QUICKTIME includes some trans mounting bolts, but they suck. Get your own G8 bolts.
----- 8 - 3/8-16 X 1.5" Grade 8 for trans to bell
----- (7) 3/8-16 X 1" grade 8 with lock nuts for block plate to bell
----- (2) 7/16 X 2" grade 8 with lock nuts for bell to block
----- (4) 3/8-16 X 1.25" grade 8 for bell to block
For starter bolts, use 2 of the Quicktime socket head bolts

B/RB/Hemi steel 10.5” flywheels 130 tooth internal balance - RAM-1503 - 6-bolt
- RAM-1583 - 8-bolt
- McLeod 8-bolt - 464100

Clutch ---- 10.472" HD diaphragm style AMC, Buick, Pontiac, Chevy - ACT# GM012
Disc-------- 10.5" street/strip organic AMC, Buick, Chevy - ACT# 3000903
Pilot Bearing – Dakota roller bearing – MP#53009180 or custom. Fits large hole, crank drilling for stick is not required. Tremecs all have 3/4" pilot like regular 4spds.

DONT FORGET TO PUT BLOCK-SAVER PLATE ON BEFORE FLYWHEEL!!! Yep, twice I forgot this LOL

If block plugs are not flush or recessed, you have to drill clearance holes in plate.

Viper hyd. throw-out bearing - Mopar #05037357AB mounting bolts - (2) 8mm - 1.25 X 25mm long
Viper throw-out bearing adapter fitting - Russell #640281 - allows -3AN braided hose

Trans mount, poly GM-style - Energy #3.1108 Trans bolts - 10mm - 1.25 X 25mm long

Slip Yolk – T56 30-spline - common small seal – Not sure if this is all T56 or just GM ones.
- TR6060 30-spline - large seal - Mopar part#5093385AA - maybe viper T56 also. This # might be whole viper driveshaft, but I couldnt locate just the slip yolk separately.

Shifter - Hurst Pro-Billet (Mustang T56) #391-5036 - GOOD A-BODY LOCATION
Ford Cobra 6spd leather knob #M-7213-B

T56 speedo – best method – Autometer electronic speedo is direct connect. Or use street-rod style converter kit for cable drive.
TR6060 has no VSS – Haneline has GPS sensor kits http://www.haneline.com Connect to Autometer speedo
- FAST Systems driveshaft speed sensor kit - 1.875 collar(8.75mopar yolk) #301437
MUST USE BILLET YOLK - if 7290ujoint, yolk must be turned to fit sensor collar. 1310 billet yolk has enough room to fit collar without machining. Cast yolks may not allow room for collar to fit.
FAST sensor is best method, as it has just 2 magnets - pulse count is low enough to work without a signal converter box. Other collars I found have 4 magnets, making the pulse count too high to wire direct to speedo.

FAST sensor requires small bracket to attach to top of center section.

Use cheapo 12v - 5v reducer for sensor and wire sensor directly to Autometer electronic speedo. These are commonly had with a lighter socket plug on them - just cut off the plug and wire it under the dash.

I can get a Viper 6 speed for 1800.00 with 5k on it

Instaling in my 70 b body convertible automatic now ,can i part and piece the rest of the stuff and do it on the cheap ?? 3k to 3500.00 ?? total ? bell housing for a 440 ? drive shaft ? hydrolic clutch /? pedals and hardware ?
adapter plate , crossmemnber and mounts ? anything major i'm forgetting ???

same spigot bearing? would you not go a 11" 143 tooth flywheel instead if changing out anyway?? or this no good? cant think of anything else. seems okay to me as i just did a hydraulic cluthc and 11" flywheel in my 4 speed

You shouldnt be into it for more than $3500 total... The bellhousing and transmission will be your biggest expense. The pedal assemblies are out there, the hydraulic TO bearing from a Viper will work. The biggest PITA will be hacking up your floor to fit the T56 in.

Bill Rileys post has a lot of info. Please post your personal experience if you do it.Quite the undertaking.I can just imagine my 600 ft pound rb thru a manual close ratio trans. If 3 gears are good 6 gotta be better right? lol

You shouldnt be into it for more than $3500 total... The bellhousing and transmission will be your biggest expense. The pedal assemblies are out there, the hydraulic TO bearing from a Viper will work. The biggest PITA will be hacking up your floor to fit the T56 in.

so its not just some massaging of the floor ?? I actually have to cut alot to make it fit ?????????

Check out protouringmopar. There are a few over there that have done it. It is still on my to do list. It is after a brake, rims and tires upgrade. To buy it back to original would take a new crossmember and floorboard.

I helped my dad put one in his 68 charger. Yea the floor is all cut up plus cross bracing but it looks sweet in his car. We aren't done with his he'll have the floor welded up when he get the cage put in.

Ok so my buddy has convinced me he has a welder and a plasma cutter and we can do this ?? I hope so . Anyway haa anyone done this ? will i be able to keep my stock console and put a pistol grip shifter in ? and will I be able to make my stock speedo work with the viper tranny ?

thanks

Auto Transport Service
Back