• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vita's 1970 Charger R/T Performance build

vita

Local time
7:27 PM
Reaction score
Hey guys!

Since everyone wants pictures, I can do better. Here's videos instead!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtaT7WX_DFxgwpHfR7zBMHA?view_as=subscriber

Figure I'd start a thread to show the progress on my 1970 Charger R/T. The car had seen a pretty rough life up until I was able to purchase it. I located it through an ad on Facebook and had it shipped from Kentucky to Texas. It arrived rough... reaaaal rough.

The info I was told on it was it being used as a parts car from the 80's. A guy planned on crushing it for scrap once he was done with it. Purchased by the seller instead, it sat partially covered since.

The intent is to build this and get it up to speed on what I'm wanting in the car. To appear mainly 70's era "stock", minus one obvious thing, when looking at it from the outside. I want to use original style gauges, original style seats, wood grain wheel/dash, etc.

At the time I've started this thread, Ive got the following done to it already:

New AMD metal for all floors, deck filler, both quarters, package tray, deck filler, trunk and trunk extensions
Stinger Fiberglass Fenders
Dana 60 with 3.54 gears
PST leaf springs
QA1 Level 2 handling kit (tubular k frame)
Power steering box/pump
USCT Level 2 stiffening kit (subframe connectors, torsion boxes, and core support)
1970 440 Warranty block, forged internals with 8-71 Roots supercharger
Rebuilt A833 trans

Looking to do the following to it or needing:
FiTech EFI
Tanks INC EFI tank with in tank pump
Bird Catcher
Crager wheels (or similar)
Pistol grip shifter
Wilwood Disc brakes (all 4 corners)
Full interior
American Wire wiring harness
Re-chrome bumpers
Electric waterpump/Radiator/Plumbing
MSD ignition

Needless to say, this is going to be a challenge still. I figure I would start this now, so as I need help, its one evolving thread!

View attachment 872340 View attachment 872341 View attachment 872344 View attachment 872346 View attachment 872347 View attachment 872348

sb1.jpg tb1.jpg td1.jpg td3.jpg eb1.jpg eba1.jpg d60.jpg ss2.jpg ss1.jpg b1.jpg

Vito....Great videos and a great thread to start here......

Keep it coming....I am thoroughly enjoying this type of build!

Nice job saving another one from the crusher - and one of the best designs ever made!

Good luck with the build!

Have a few questions about the direction I am going with:

Which bird catcher to go with (see attached image). Since I'm planning on going EFI by way of the FiTech, getting one setup for carburetors seems like the best choice. I am not sure if they need modifications to adapt. If so, which one is the closest to what I am needing. I sent an email to them with a very vague response of "all may require some type of modification".

9876543198765431.jpg

So if you are set on using a bird catcher, why not use the fuel injection system meant for them rather than a FiTech throttle body? Does it not work well for the street?

So if you are set on using a bird catcher, why not use the fuel injection system meant for them rather than a FiTech throttle body? Does it not work well for the street?

I know for adjust-ability and the concept of self learning, the Fitech or Holley setups work great. I've heard there's a lot more tuning in for a normal fuel hat with injector setup.

Figure I'd post an update on where I'm at on this thing!

Got a few more major parts to put on, but I knocked out my fuel tank, long tube headers, radiator, starter, and a bit of the wiring. Feel free to toss a thumbs on it on youtube if ya liked it!

Great videos! You’re car is coming along very nicely....

Great videos! You’re car is coming along very nicely....
Thanks. It's not coming along fast for sure, but, I'm trying to do as much of it myself as I can. Helps me learn, and, in the end I'm happy with it because I did it.

Auto Transport Service
Back