• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

VW Is The New King of the Hill At Pikes Peak

Pops1967GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:43 PM
Reaction score
hillclimb-pikes-peak-2018-checkered-flag-for-94-romain-dumas-volkswagen-i-d-r-pikes-peak-8581728.jpg

Volkwagen’s electric ID R Pikes Peak at Pikes Peak records in its first competitive outing.

Electric Volkswagen Sets A New Time To Beat At 2018 Pikes Peak International Hillclimb - Hot Rod Network

Fast Is Fast: VW Is The New King of the Hill - Speedhunters

Very cool, and shows how electric motors don’t care a thing about oxygen density at any elevation.

David

not dependent on R.A.D., 02 at altitudes
elevation changes & ***. tuning issues
instant torque out of the corners
gobs of instant power

I'm not a big lover or EV's
but that was impressive

I'm impressed but not surprised that electric drive is current with the record. Too many positives to ignore.
As long as cars are --wheel driven-- its all about the best way to turn the driving wheels.

We all know that the current record must be identified in a class.--Anything that goes---(that uses the road surface for grip) --unlimited.:thumbsup:

IMO this level of performance for cars is getting close to what pilots of high-performance aircraft came up against years ago. (If not already). The vehicle can way outperform what the driver/pilot can handle or endure.

What is next?---A car with no driver?:)

Last edited:
I'm impressed but not surprised that electric drive is current with the record. Too many positives to ignore.
As long as cars are --wheel driven-- its all about the best way to turn the driving wheels.

We all know that the current record must be identified in a class.--Anything that goes---(that uses the road surface for grip) --unlimited.:thumbsup:

IMO this level of performance for cars is getting close to what pilots of high-performance aircraft came up against years ago. (If not already). The vehicle can way outperform what the driver/pilot can handle or endure.

What is next?---A car with no driver?:)

Very punny!

Very punny!

Thanks for making those -"connections"- with a "potential" for adding to my (perhaps) "electrifying" point of view. :)
I am "positive" that my "resistance" to fuel burning cars being "brushed" aside has little to do with the "continuity" of the topic.

Let "amps" and "horsepower" remaining equivalent.

Last edited:
Thanks for making those -"connections"- with a "potential" for adding to my (perhaps) "electrifying" point of view. :)
I am "positive" that my "resistance" to fuel burning cars being "brushed" aside has little to do with the "continuity" of the topic.

Let "amps" and "horsepower" remaining equivalent.
I see I'm messing with a professional!

VW king of the hill? WRONG! I got there first in a much cooler car!!! :carrot:

DSC_0105.JPG

From where I sit the Pikes Peak -challenge has always been more about the nuts of the driver than the car they chose to drive.
This latest and fastest time -IMO- shows a CAR that can beat -any- driver to the top. If the driver was just going along for the ride (auto drive) this would not be a great show for driver talent and endurance.
To me, the driver is the king--not the car.

Last time I remember it still had some gravel to drive on. I think when a course is upgraded for speed, all previous held records still hold up to that date and condition and should not be lost.

But will it still float?

Had a 71 Super Beetle.....Super my ***. First and ONLY bug I've owned and bought it against my better judgement. :( and yes, the sob floated plus it wouldn't turn on slick streets unless you were going slow. Biggest pile I've ever owned!

Last time I remember it still had some gravel to drive on. I think when a course is upgraded for speed, all previous held records still hold up to that date and condition and should not be lost.

IMO previous records are never lost to those that break them. The records are broken by winners.
When a new "record" is broken it does not turn the previous "record holder " into being a loser.
To me, Pikes Peak challenge has always been a --drivers test.

Give me two stock VW Karmann Ghias (for example). Would the winner at the top be the car or the driver?

The reality is that the Pikes Peak race/challenge gets to the guts of racing.--The driver.

Had a 71 Super Beetle.....Super my ***. First and ONLY bug I've owned and bought it against my better judgement. :( and yes, the sob floated plus it wouldn't turn on slick streets unless you were going slow. Biggest pile I've ever owned!

I had a 69 bug. the best car in the snow I ever had.

I had a 69 bug. the best car in the snow I ever had.
Rarely snows here....but EVERYONE has (had) a faster car back then lol. Kinda sucked for a gear head to have such a slow vehicle, plus the mileage sucked trying to keep up with the traffic.

Auto Transport Service
Back