• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Walter P Chrysler museum & Detroit

tripleGreen

Local time
10:12 PM
Reaction score
myself and a group of friends are visiting the Detroit Autorama show in February/March 2019. We have a couple of days either side of the show to visit other attractions in the Detroit area.

I’m aware that the Walter P Chrysler museum is now permanently closed, and some of the collection has been distributed to other locations

Is there any visitor facility at all at the Chrysler World Headquarters in Auburn Hills??

Do you have any information about Mopar related attractions in the Detroit area??

Any information will be greatly appreciated

Many thanks

Well, it's not Mopar, but the Ford museum is really good....and it's not all Fords.

Don't know how long you will be staying in the Detroit area for the Autorama but I highly recommend a visit to Stahls Automotive Museum in Chesterfield, Michigan which is roughly 26 miles north of Detroit. Website is below. Check it out.

http://www.stahlsauto.com/

I would go,to,the Gilmore Car museum just north of Kalamazoo Michigan. It is the largest car museum in North America. Check out their Facebook page and website to get a feel for it

Agree 100% with what has been said.. Also take a look @ detroit historical museum. Not far from where the show is. I work downtown so if u have questions about the area let me know. Have fun!

I had the opportunity to go to Detroit in 2016 for the Chrysler Employee Motorsport Association (CEMA) event, including the 50th anniversary of the Charger. It was awesome. Saw the Walter P, and it’s just a travesty it’s closed.

Also saw the Henry Ford Museum, which is a must see. If you like history beyond cars too, allow a day to see it. We only got to one building in 4-5 hours.

John Dodge museum was really interesting.
https://meadowbrookhall.org/tours/
It has a handful of 1920s cars, but is more about the house. Definitely worth a look.

I enjoyed my trip to Detroit so much I’d definitely go back, and it can be about more than cars. Also toured the Edsel Ford house, visited SRT, toured the Viper plant and drank a few beers! We were there in June though, so check schedules.

Have a great trip!

Many thanks for the replies and ideas, I’ll add those to the list

At about the same time as my original post I also wrote to Chrysler about the current status of the Walter P Chrysler museum

Below is the reply I got …

So at least something good will come of the collection in the future, but unfortunately nothing for us to see in February

Cheers

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: Re: Chrysler Product Information

Thank you for contacting the Chrysler Information Center. Your email is important to us.

It's great to hear of your positive feedback and interest in all things Chrysler.

I do regret to advise the Walter P. Chrysler museum has been closed. Its assets were sold to the Chrysler Foundation, a charitable arm of Chrysler Group, LLC.

While FCA US LLC Headquarters located in Auburn Hills Michigan is not open or available for public tours, the Conner Avenue Assembly Plant, the former production home of the iconic Dodge Viper, will get a second life as an internal meeting and display space that will showcase the Company’s concept and historic vehicle collection.

Renamed Conner Center, the former manufacturing facility, tucked in a Detroit neighborhood just south of the famed 8 Mile Road, will have space to exhibit 85 of the nearly 400 concept and historic vehicles that will now be stored onsite under one roof. Previously, the Company’s extensive collection was housed in several locations. This move will allow us to house all of our collection under one roof and have the space to share that history with our employees.

It is expected that the facility, built in 1966, could also open its doors to the public in the future, however at this time, there has been no announcements as such.

We appreciate your interest and I have taken the liberty of logging your feedback. Comments like yours are always a welcomed and important way of getting feedback and helps providing the greatest possible satisfaction for customers.

You are always welcome to call us directly with any further questions at the Chrysler Product Information Center by calling 1-800-247-9753.

Thanks again for your email.

Sincerely,

Jeff
Chrysler Information Center

I'll have to watch to see if that conner center open up to the public. Thanks for sharing.

Don't know how long you will be staying in the Detroit area for the Autorama but I highly recommend a visit to Stahls Automotive Museum in Chesterfield, Michigan which is roughly 26 miles north of Detroit. Website is below. Check it out.

http://www.stahlsauto.com/

Stahls is 3 minutes from my house. Great, world-class collection of brass-era to 50's cars. Jay Leno saw stuff there, he'd never seen before.

I've showed a few out-of towners around Motown. I like giving tours of our city.

We had a great trip, thanks for asking, what an awesome week, looking back through the photos I’m still taking it all in

Aside from 2 days at Autorama, we visited the Henry Ford, Rouge Factory Tour, Motown Museum, GM Heritage Centre, Ford Piquette Av Museum, Gilmore Car Museum, Vanguard Motors, Detroit Steel Wheel, Stahl’s Museum and had a ride round some of the derelict factory sites

We couldn’t have fitted anymore in, everything we did and saw exceeded our expectation, many thanks again for your advice

We had a great trip, thanks for asking, what an awesome week, looking back through the photos I’m still taking it all in

Aside from 2 days at Autorama, we visited the Henry Ford, Rouge Factory Tour, Motown Museum, GM Heritage Centre, Ford Piquette Av Museum, Gilmore Car Museum, Vanguard Motors, Detroit Steel Wheel, Stahl’s Museum and had a ride round some of the derelict factory sites

We couldn’t have fitted anymore in, everything we did and saw exceeded our expectation, many thanks again for your advice
Hope you enjoyed Gilmore’s, too bad all the buildings were not open yet.

Auto Transport Service
Back