• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

want big tube headers on my 66 coronet

daredevil

Local time
4:57 PM
Reaction score
Are there any chassis diferences between the 66 and 67 coronet chassis or will 67 coronet bb headers fit a 66?

This is where im too also. i have a set of 2.25 primary 3.5 collecter hooker super comps and im fixing to drop an rb with indy ezs and it looks to tight. The number 7 tube has a 3'' long flat spot for the steering,and im using the flaming river joint and the p/o of the headers has a big flat spot on number 5 cyl. pipe. Do ttis fit without modifying or is this just a trouble body with an rb.

66 and 67 Coronet chassis are the same.I used the 1 7/8 Hooker Super Comps on my 69 Road Runner.I didn't like them at all.They were to close to the spark plugs.My wires burnt and some of the plugs were hard to change.I have always used Hedman headers before, they always fit much nicer than the POS hookers.
Jim

Wernt back in the garage and my primarys are 2 1/8 not 2/1/4 and i may have bigger problems as i have angle plug indy heads

I have the big tubes on my 66 coronet and plugs are a bit-h to change. The drivers side I can get from the top with a plug socket, The pass. side , the back two plugs have to be done with a wrench I had to heat and bend to get in the tight area. I am not sure I would use these on a street car again. They do breath good and sound good though.

Being an "older fart" who has owned Muscle cars made by all of the "Big 3", I have found it to be a royal pain in the azz to run headers on Mopar's with their torsion bar front suspensions. Unless you're building a "race only" car, I would leave the headers to the Chevy and Ford folks and buy yourself a nice set of the 68-69 model year factory HP cast manifolds, along with a good set of HP mufflers and the appropriate sized pipes for your application. I run a set of 1969 HP exhaust manifolds, a 3 inch set of pipes and HP mufflers on my 66 Coronet with a 440. People who don't know better, swear that I'm running headers from the sounds that the exhaust produces and the lady next door to me say's that my Coronet shakes the pictures on her walls when it's running in my garage or drive-way! :grin::cool: Headers also produce lots of underhood heat unless you pay to have them coated and they love to cook starters, so I just don't like them, or use them on my street driven Mopars.

Just .02 cents worth from a guy who's "been there, done that".

Richard

Just a question i had, isn't it hard to find a set of the 68-69 model year factory HP cast manifolds? Aren't they expensive? Are they being reproduced? I'm not being an a**hole, i really don't know. I don't like running headers on my street cars either. I have fenderwell headers on my Duster, and i hate them, there are so ugly. and i cant really afford to dish out $700.00 for a set of those TTI headers.

Big block HP manifolds are still readily available, and they are also being reproduced. Generally you can pick up a pair for $150-300 a pair, and I think the repops are about $500 a pair

Big block HP manifolds are still readily available, and they are also being reproduced. Generally you can pick up a pair for $150-300 a pair, and I think the repops are about $500 a pair

I totally agree and here's a link to a reproduction set from Year One as just one example. :) Click on the "exhaust" section on the left side of the page and then scroll down until you find part #HP689S. Their current list price for a brand new set of reproduction manifolds is $359.00 plus shipping.

Richard

http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/fbshopmain2.asp?cat=1

I ran Hooker 1 7/8 on my 68 RR and had no issues. I run the plug wires down around the front of the heads and up to the plugs. The two rear cyl's I run over the top of the valve covers and around the back side of the head.

I have been racing mopars with and without headers for 40 plus years and the torsion bar thing is just something you have to deal with. I have got used to it. With being an old fart you get more patience to deal with it.

66 and 67 Coronet chassis are the same.I used the 1 7/8 Hooker Super Comps on my 69 Road Runner.I didn't like them at all.They were to close to the spark plugs.My wires burnt and some of the plugs were hard to change.I have always used Hedman headers before, they always fit much nicer than the POS hookers.
Jim
I agree with you on those 1 7/8" Super Comp Hookers, burnt my #1 plug wire. Had to really dent up the pipe for even minimum clearance.
I went to 2" Dougs with 3.5" collectors with my INDY EZ heads. THEY FIT PERFECT.

20160908_124343.jpg

Dents and flat spots? PFFFFT. One of my favorite videos. My exhaust/header builder never commented to me when I sent it to him.

Last edited:
I installed Hooker Super Comps 1 3/4" 3" collector on my '67 w/ 440 auto. What a PITA. Did install in driveway; took 2 eight hour days for install. Had the car way off the ground and had to undo motor mounts. Ironically, passenger side slid in easy; driver side was an issue b/c of tight fit near steering box. I guess a benefit was no BFH needed to "fine tune" fitment. But wait, it gets better. Get everything buttoned up, and the collectors are 4"-5" from torsion bar crossmember. Fortunately, I've got a good muffler man. The headers he sectioned by equal amounts and did fine a** tube bending to get it to work. Job came out real nice. Big power change according to the butt dyno. Would I do it again- not with what I know now. But, everybody on the internet claimed these headers were the bomb. Caveat emptor!

I installed Hooker Super Comps 1 3/4" 3" collector on my '67 w/ 440 auto. What a PITA. Did install in driveway; took 2 eight hour days for install. Had the car way off the ground and had to undo motor mounts. Ironically, passenger side slid in easy; driver side was an issue b/c of tight fit near steering box. I guess a benefit was no BFH needed to "fine tune" fitment. But wait, it gets better. Get everything buttoned up, and the collectors are 4"-5" from torsion bar crossmember. Fortunately, I've got a good muffler man. The headers he sectioned by equal amounts and did fine a** tube bending to get it to work. Job came out real nice. Big power change according to the butt dyno. Would I do it again- not with what I know now. But, everybody on the internet claimed these headers were the bomb. Caveat emptor!
Check my post above. DOUGS HEADERS fit my 66 RB block like a glove. Yes, I did have to jack the motor out of the mounts and drop the drag link but they went on fine...plus plug clearance is absolutely NO issue.

although dented and flattened headers don't look great they still deliver the performance, engine masters proved that one!pound away and get them on and serviceable!

Auto Transport Service
Back