• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Want to Remove A/C Components

Dan The Man

Local time
9:08 PM
Reaction score
440 with power steering. I have a 4 groove crank pulley, 1 groove water pump pulley, 2 groove alt and 2 groove A/C comp. The 2 belts ride the A/C comp, alt and crank pulley. The PS pump rides the water pump pulley and crank pulley. Can I put a double groove water pump pulley and just run a single belt on the alt? How can I accomplish this?

Last edited:
Repro pulleys are available. Or, you can get what you need from places like Tony's.

You need to come up with a non-a/c water pump pulley. Then you can run alternator and water pump off rear groove of crank pulley and rear groove of 2-groove alternator pulley. Power steering will run off second groove of pulley. Lose the idler pulley and bracket. Standard water pump pulley is noticeably larger in diameter than a/c pulley, so it will drive the water pump faster This is why there are separate pumps for a/c cars and those without. A/C pump had more vanes to pump adequate water at slower pump speed. By running the large pulley with the a/c pump, you run the risk of moving coolant too fast through the radiator to properly lose heat. If you are stuck, I have a 2-groove crank pulley and non-a/c water pump pulley here you can have for paying shipping.

You need to come up with a non-a/c water pump pulley. Then you can run alternator and water pump off rear groove of crank pulley and rear groove of 2-groove alternator pulley. Power steering will run off second groove of pulley. Lose the idler pulley and bracket. Standard water pump pulley is noticeably larger in diameter than a/c pulley, so it will drive the water pump faster This is why there are separate pumps for a/c cars and those without. A/C pump had more vanes to pump adequate water at slower pump speed. By running the large pulley with the a/c pump, you run the risk of moving coolant too fast through the radiator to properly lose heat. If you are stuck, I have a 2-groove crank pulley and non-a/c water pump pulley here you can have for paying shipping.
And I assume I change the V belts with non a/c ones? That is a very generous offer of you. What would shipping run to 33470?

And I assume I change the V belts with non a/c ones? That is a very generous offer of you. What would shipping run to 33470?
Based on past history of shipping stuff, I figure about $25. PM me if you need these. You might need to buy non-a/c water pump with less vanes.

I'm surprised nobody has come up with an A/C Compressor Bypass Pulley and bracket set. That would simplfy the whole process.

Auto Transport Service
Back