• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Warranty block tag info

YY1

Local time
6:52 AM
Reaction score
I discovered a warranty "short engine" tag on my 67.

It is stamped "0270", perhaps where it is supposed to indicate the "model", although the stamper missed.

Could that be a date of 2/1970?

Does this mean the motor is 1970 spec, with 8.8:1 compression instead of 9.2.

Attachments

• IMG_20140720_112032.jpg
    IMG_20140720_112032.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 441
WedgeTag.jpg

One from 1962.... what do the numbers mean?

And the curious block stamp

WedgeStamp.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I have to say, based on my limited experience here, that there is NOT a date code in the number. It is an engine Model Number associated with the short engine for the purpose of ordering parts in the future. I also believe that they short engine folks stamped the front pad with a different set of fonts and sizes based on what I have seen. So.... folks who can decoded these short engine model numbers?

Last edited:

So... this is a great ongoing mystery. It would seem that the short engines do not come with a pad stamp other than maybe the W-T (water test) and that the mechanic may be required to stamp it. Does this make a 1963 Coronet that has a MP Wedge Motor with the wrong fonts on the stamp pad (yet has a short engine tag with a model number which no doubt will decode to what is on the pad) because the mechanic did not use them, un-authentic??

Looking to now find out what a big block 426 from 62 as a short engine model 10198 translates to. Is it the base for a TMPHC as the mechanic stamped it?

All very interesting indeed, thanks YYI for this.

WedgeTag.jpg

One from 1962.... what do the numbers mean?

And the curious block stamp

WedgeStamp.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I have to say, based on my limited experience here, that there is NOT a date code in the number. It is an engine Model Number associated with the short engine for the purpose of ordering parts in the future. I also believe that they short engine folks stamped the front pad with a different set of fonts and sizes based on what I have seen. So.... folks who can decoded these short engine model numbers?

I'm pretty sure that block stamp means 426 T (1964). MP = maximum performance. HC = high compression. The lettering font doesn't look right, but if it's legit then someone has themselves a max wedge block.

I will need to pull it off the porch and out of the shipping crate to check the rail but will do. It is definitely a Max Wedge block (actually the whole motor). We are trying to determine if it left the factory as a 13:5 to one short block as the mechanic stamped it as.
It has AAQA 2R up front and

blockcasting.jpg

As the casting number from 10 2 of 1962 AND

blocknotch1.jpg

Factory machined clearance notches confirmed by Greg Lane (I sent him photos)

Yep that's a maxie ! Well done ..it's nice to see this one as I've never seen a warrant block maxie .good luck with the sale.

pretty sure this tag is not a part or part code # as (engine codefor this short block( 9-01-24) & (part 2406726)

I'm thinking it is the date cast & engines produced that month? 10(october) 198(# produced in month).

It would be pulled from the line as a MW block (being a red tag)??

Attachments

• WedgeTag.jpg
    WedgeTag.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 194
I'm pretty sure that block stamp means 426 T (1964). MP = maximum performance. HC = high compression. The lettering font doesn't look right, but if it's legit then someone has themselves a max wedge block.

Meep - as far as I know, '64 blocks have a V to denote '64 (rather than a T). Also, the street wedge blocks have just 42 stamped on them - without the 6 (at least, mine does). But, maybe the MW blocks had the 6 stamped on them too?

Auto Transport Service
Back