• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Was i wrong ?

Aarons Air

Local time
11:58 PM
Reaction score
Today i drove to the grocery store. As i pulled up to park, my mother called. So i sat in my van to talk. As i sat, i watched customers coming & going. A couple in their 60's came out, loaded their groceries, got in & shut the doors. Then the man opened his door & rolled a 1/2 full coke can under the door onto the parking lot. At this point, i was walking by. I picked it up, holding it out of their view, and knocked on his window. He rolled it down. I said, excuse me, you dropped this. There is a trash can by the front door if you want to throw it away. He threw the can at me , splattering coke all over my shirt & said, you throw it away. I picked it up & threw it in their car. Then walked toward the entrance. They both started cussing, got out, and came toward me. He came at me as if to fight. While she kept screaming that he had epilepsy. When he got right infront of me he flipped his cigarette in my face. I called him a mf, and raised my fist as if to hit him. He stepped back several feet. Next, a woman with a 4-5 year old boy in her suv was parking & overheard it all. She yelled out, there are children present. Can we stop this ? I ignored her. The couple got in their car. And i walked in the store. I went to the service desk to speak with the mgr. The woman with the boy , ( now sitting in the cart) walked up to me, and said, you had no right to do that. I said, did you hear and see both sides. She said yes. You shouldnt have said a thing. I said, its as much my world as theirs. And you are interjecting . its none of your business. She replied loudly, infront of me, her son, & the mgr, you're an asshole. I said lady i didn't say one cuss word in that confrontation your complaining about. But your calling me an asshole infront of your son. The mgr said, stop or i'll call the police. I said, call them. Maybe they should hear what she said. Then i looked at the boy and said, did you hear that ? Did you hear what your mommy just called me ? I was so shook up, i left without buying anything. Then i wondered if i should report it. And decided to. As i told the police, they said the man and i were both at fault. And could both be cited. I asked what i should have done. He said, call us to report it. I asked what they would have done if i had. He said, unless we witness it,all we can do is take a report. Maybe i acted inappropriately, but wasn't i basicly in the right & them in the wrong? And if the guy has epilepsy should he be driving ? And shouldn't the police have checked into that ?

this world is messed up,as it says right will be wrong and wrong would be right. I think I would of done the same thing.

as you get older
life is too short to bother going at it with idiots
you are severely out numbered out there
and my time left is limited
you need to chill and maybe :fool: if it bothers you too much

Whether you're right or wrong, it's best to never get involved with an asshole. Nothing good for you will come out of it.

I would have brought it to his attention that I saw him littering. As far as causing a scene in public, I try to cut it short if I can tell he's an idiot that you'll never reason with.

People like him never get it and have no respect for others or the world around them. There's one in every crowd. In your case there were two!

Somewhere in that "altercation" you could have memorized their license plate number and details such as color and model of their car. Then, as a "concerned citizen", you could have called the police to report a car that was driving erratically. Maybe the driver would still be agitated when pulled over (if he pulled over) and give the officer a bunch of attitude and grief. That could have turned out interesting/amusing, but not a nice thing to do. The police have better things to do with their time.

Here is why you were wrong:

(1) A judge would say that you provoked them. Was it necessary for you to start this altercation? If you had not approached them in the first place, then nothing would have started. The judge would ask don't you have anything better to do with your time? What did you hope to accomplish? You will get no sympathy from the judge.

(2) If they were much older than you, then you are automatically wrong; and you will be dead wrong if the judge is near the same age as them, or older. You will get no sympathy from the judge.

(3) If the guy really has epilepsy and/or other medical conditions, then the judge is really going to read you the riot act. You will get the exact opposite of sympathy from the judge.

Summary: You placed yourself squarely in a no win situation. Pick your battles carefully my FBBO friend.

Somewhere in that "altercation" you could have memorized their license plate number and details such as color and model of their car. Then, as a "concerned citizen", you could have called the police to report a car that was driving erratically. Maybe the driver would still be agitated when pulled over (if he pulled over) and give the officer a bunch of attitude and grief. That could have turned out interesting/amusing, but not a nice thing to do. The police have better things to do with their time.

Here is why you were wrong:

(1) A judge would say that you provoked them. Was it necessary for you to start this altercation? If you had not approached them in the first place, then nothing would have started. The judge would ask don't you have anything better to do with your time? What did you hope to accomplish? You will get no sympathy from the judge.

(2) If they were much older than you, then you are automatically wrong; and you will be dead wrong if the judge is near the same age as them, or older. You will get no sympathy from the judge.

(3) If the guy really has epilepsy and/or other medical conditions, then the judge is really going to read you the riot act. You will get the exact opposite of sympathy from the judge.

Summary: You placed yourself squarely in a no win situation. Pick your battles carefully my FBBO friend.
I did ask the question, so i am subject to everyones opinion. And you are most certainly entitled to yours. But i disagree with your ( 3 ) reasons why. In #1 i don't agree that saying, excuse me you dropped this, and handing it to him, would be considered by all to be starting an altercation. And could be considered a kind gesture returning a dropped item. Imo the altercation started when he threw it at me. In #2 they were approx 10 years my senior. And i do understand respect for elders. Hence my kind aporoach. But littering is wrong at any age. Especially for those old enough to know better. As for #3, i fail to see where you listed anything i did wrong. Thanks for your input though.

What the hell...I would do the same thing, but then again, I am not afraid of a confrontation. People block aisles in stores, I move their carts. People being rude to sales or service people? I step in. People litter, I'm tempted to throw it back at them.
If everyone ignored wrongdoings, where do you expect the community to end up?
Call the Police? Screw that....They won't respond unless it is a felony in many cities. They play it off like they don't want people to take matters into their own hands but that is just political correctness bullshit. I am not about that. We should police ourselves in small matters like this. I have had a few confrontations with people that surely didn't expect to be called out on their actions. The risk is that someone is actually tougher than they look OR they are far more fragile. The latter? They fall, have a heart attack or just wig out and make things worse. The former? You may get your *** kicked. None of this has happened to me to date but who knows, my time may come.
Stay tuned...

If you wanted to be the better person, you should of just thrown the can away yourself, and never bothered the couple.

I personally, think you did the right thing; the world has taken on an apathetic, do nothing, keep the blinders on, none of my business attitude to its detriment. You stand for something or gal for anything.
Those kind of ******** are everywhere and until we stop letingt them get away with crap like that will they stop.
The female is a hypocrite, and although I probably wouldn't have addressed her son directly, I would have reminded her , in her exact words, of the children.
:thumbsup:

The same people who litter (or do other stupid stuff) are the same persons that one can't reason with (like trying to reason with a drunk). Unfortunately, the only "sane" answer is to steer clear of all of them.

I agree with both Kern Dog and Mike67. You did the right thing. Too many people get a pass just because of something, like their age, their gender preference, they got out of bed on the wrong side.

Personally am tired of the stinking excuses. I would have punched him out in the parking lot and then had the store manager call the police and file a complaint against the idiot for littering, and accosting you (he did throw the can back at you after he recieved it from you when you handed it to him). As for the lady with the young child, she is a hypocrite and again you did the correct thing and asking her son what did he hear?

I would of gladly taken my chances in court with any judge over this. Just because I may be facing an elderly judge (theres those excuses again) doe's not make what this old fool did right in anyones eyes, except for those who do not care about right and wrong.

Our society is out of wack, and if we do not take action to take it back, all will be surely lost.

Then there will be no one to blame but ourselves for being to scared or politically correct while keeping our heads in the sand as if we did not see this knuclehead blatantly littering and accosting you as if no one cares.

WELL I DO CARE!

God Bless you Aarons Air, and God Bless America

Mike

I absolutey hate litter. Indianapolis is getting so dirty. Im glad you stood up to him.

If it were I in that spot again (yes, been there....) I’d knock him the F#>%^ out and kicked him in the balls while he was down.

You incident is so crazy close to one of mine it is scary!

you were not wrong . the same thing if you are defending your own property and were to shoot someone in the process you are probably going to jail, point being you are not wrong because the judge says that.the law is f***d up.

one other thing alot of idots have guns .i might of made sure he seen me and just kicked it towards his car not trying to hit it

I probably would have grabbed the can and shook it at them and said" Don't worry, I'll get this for you".
:lol:

I hate litterbugs.
Is there not a can refund in your state?
In my town cans are picked up by the village idiot to buy cigarettes.

Auto Transport Service
Back