• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Washing metal prior to first epoxy coating

Moparfiend

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:45 PM
Reaction score
Hey guys as I get closer to getting down to bare metal inside and out (about 90% there) I am going to need to clean all the metal off. What is your process of cleaning prior to epoxy prime coat of bare metal?

I have metal prep and lacquer thinner and phosphoric acid solution but it needs a good cleaning before I wipe it down as its really dirty.

Use wax and grease remover in a spray bottle. wipe till the rags no longer pick up any dirt. You can "metal prep" afterwards - metal prep needs to be applied to bare metal that's free of any oil or grease. Save your lacquer thinner to clean your paint guns !!

Use wax and grease remover in a spray bottle. wipe till the rags no longer pick up any dirt. You can "metal prep" afterwards - metal prep needs to be applied to bare metal that's free of any oil or grease. Save your lacquer thinner to clean your paint guns !!
Thanks for the tip Stanton. She’s awfully dirty from all the sanding. Was wondering if there is a more robust way to get it all clean prior to hand cleaning. Like using a liquid mix spray of something. Would love to hose it all down and then treat with phosphorus acid. Does anyone do that or is that a big no no….

I use Naptha as a final cleaner. Non residual and floats contaminants into the rag pretty well.

I wouldn't use a metal wash. A lot of epoxy will lift or not adhere when they're used. Check your TDS.

Blow it off, lots of wax and grease remover. Spray it. It’s epoxy, not your final coat.

I would wash it with plastic bristle brush,Dawn original dish soap and distilled water,rinse and blow dry with an electric leaf blower.

I would use a good solvent based wax/ grease remover first . There are ton out there. Then a final wipe down with a water-based cleaner as well. This should remove all the surface contaminants

Check your TDS for the epoxy you are using , many do not like etching treatments before application.

Auto Transport Service
Back