• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Water coming in on pedals

bcOH67

Local time
7:08 PM
Reaction score
When it rains there is water that drips in from right above the steering column and drops down and soaks the pedals. I’ve seen another thread on a similar issue but I’m fairly certain the water is coming in through the cowl. I’ve already checked and added silicone to the windshield. my question is if anybody has experienced this- how did you fix it. Or do any of you know how it could be coming in from the cowl? I’ve never seen a car with that part off so I don’t know how it’s even attached, let alone how to fix it without tearing the car apart. Thanks for any help

Windshield wiper seals unless your car is rusted inside the cowl excessively!
The seals are cheap to replace, but if you want to look in your cowl, go on
Flea Bay and buy a cheap endoscope with LED lights that works with your
phone or tablet. Then you can inspect every inch to be sure.

Replaced my wiper seals 2 yrs ago. They are cheap, but I had to remove my instrument cluster, a/c ductwork to get to the shafts.

depending on the car model...you can get to the wipers by taking the radio and glovebox out.

Anyone have an exploded view just to get an idea ? I’ve never heard of these wiper seals

Here is exactly where the pivot on the driver's side is located so you have a reference
to where the water is coming from.
20210704_104635.jpg

Man this place rules !!!

I have both kits, one from Schumacher, and from Detroit Muscle Technologies. I am happier with the DMT one.
That's where I got mine from. Haven't put them on yet.

Where do people drill these for zerk fittings and grease them?

I read where some one did drill those pivot's for a grease fitting. But don't know where. Lot's of help I know but it is out their. Sorry that you have to go into them. Good luck.

The kit I purchased for my A body came with the black seal that goes around the shaft, a white bushing that covers where the arm bolts to the car and a grease fitting.

Sorry all, been away for a while. Thanks so much to yella71 and everyone else that followed for the advice where to look! I bought the DMT kit and got them on this week. I did the passenger side with just the glove box out (I don’t have the heater box and all parts installed currently. And then I got the driver side done without removing the cluster. It wasn’t fun but it is possible. Stayed dry for a little rain so we’ll see how it handles a good downpour soon enough. Thanks again!

I had the problem of rain water leaking into my '67 R/T. I found that I had rust holes under the lower stainless windshield trim. I had to remove the windshield to repair this area. The holes were not huge, so I ground out any rust with a Dremel grinder and fixed the spots with JB Weld. I had to buy a new windshield gasket and new trim clips. After cleaning this channel area up, I brushed on a couple of coats of Tremclad rust paint before putting everything back together again.

Windshield leak, cowl leak, wiper pivot leak.

Stick your head under the dash while someone shines a flashlight on the cowl vent, wiper pivot shafts and lower windshield area with the trim removed. Preferably in the dark.

Auto Transport Service
Back