• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Water inside the car

Cornpatch MO

Local time
1:32 AM
Reaction score
1968 Satellite-Roadrunner- GTX 2 dr hdtp. Wet carpet when I wash the car. Traced it down today. When I run water into the fresh air intake grill just in front of the windshield, just a spray, like rain , not a garden hose full stream, Water comes out at the dash ends and out the left side interior fresh air grill under the dash. It was a factory air, converted to the full, 68 B body Vintage Air kit. And so it doesn't have the right side fresh air vent. I have a 1968 Shop manual , but cannot find if there are cowl drain vents. There has to be a way to drain off water that gets in the cowl intake grill. Could someone tell me if there is supposed to be a way to keep water out of the left side interior fresh air grill, and where the cowl drains are? Thanks for any help................................MO

There are cowl vent drains on both sides behind the fenders. You could access them through the interior vents by removing them and reaching up through the opening. sounds like they are stopped up with debris.

Sounds like your lower cowl is rotted out, because the drains were blocked long ago..
beeresto2016bodyshop 758.JPG

Sounds like your lower cowl is rotted out, because the drains were blocked long ago..
View attachment 970467
I'm not sure where your pic was taken from.. Is that the left side after the cowl grille ( in front of the windshield ) has been taken off? And is that circular band under the screwdriver , what is just above where the interior fresh air plastic grill is mounted? ( open-closed flapper inside of it with control cable attached) Thanks...........................MO
Sadly MO, I have to agree with dadsbee :(
Mike
On second look, I think I answered my question. is the hole shown, above the circular band, where the windshield wiper shaft goes through? Thanks Mike......MO

View attachment 970467
I'm going to assume , the cowl drain is where the metal has been cut out? Does anyone have a picture of what that area is supposed to look like when it is not rusted through? .........Thanks.....................MO

I'm not sure where your pic was taken from.. Is that the left side after the cowl grille ( in front of the windshield ) has been taken off? And is that circular band under the screwdriver , what is just above where the interior fresh air plastic grill is mounted? ( open-closed flapper inside of it with control cable attached) Thanks...........................MO

On second look, I think I answered my question. is the hole shown, above the circular band, where the windshield wiper shaft goes through? Thanks Mike......MO
MO, look above that hole in the picture and you can see the wiper pivot hole and studs.
Mike

Yes the raised circular boss is the intake for the drivers side fresh air vent and above the screw driver is the wiper pivot hole.

1968 Satellite-Roadrunner- GTX 2 dr hdtp. Wet carpet when I wash the car. Traced it down today. When I run water into the fresh air intake grill just in front of the windshield, just a spray, like rain , not a garden hose full stream, Water comes out at the dash ends and out the left side interior fresh air grill under the dash. It was a factory air, converted to the full, 68 B body Vintage Air kit. And so it doesn't have the right side fresh air vent. I have a 1968 Shop manual , but cannot find if there are cowl drain vents. There has to be a way to drain off water that gets in the cowl intake grill. Could someone tell me if there is supposed to be a way to keep water out of the left side interior fresh air grill, and where the cowl drains are? Thanks for any help................................MO
On my 68 RR I was having the same issue and found the water was entering through the wiper pivot shafts. As I recall I crawled up under the dash removed them cleaned them up and slid a valve guide rubber boot with some sealer in the shaft area and reinstalled. No more leaks. Before looking at all the other possibilities I would suggest trying that first.

My eyes aren't very good , and that being black makes it a little harder to see.. Looking at just the shiney black in your pic, is the cowl drain at the lower right ? I think I can see the front of the stamping of the drain slot..... Thank you.......................MO

Last edited:
On my 68 RR I was having the same issue and found the water was entering through the wiper pivot shafts. As I recall I crawled up under the dash removed them cleaned them up and slid a valve guide rubber boot with some sealer in the shaft area and reinstalled. No more leaks. Before looking at all the other possibilities I would suggest trying that first.
I thought of that, there is available a seal-gasket kit for those, but sounds like your method worked well. I made sure that my water stayed below that level.. Thanks for your input............................MO

Going to be a biotch to get to the drain vent with my fender and door on , but I will see if I can find it with a piece of wire.. May be able to get to it if I take the plastic fresh air duct under the dash, off.. Pretty sure you all have determined my problem....Thanks all..................................MO

Sometimes the simplest things can get overlooked. I turned the garden hose down to a very small stream and run the water directly into the fresh air intake grill in front of the windshield. Right side, water came out the cowl drain on that side, interior not wet. Same on the left side. Thank goodness , my cowl is not rusted through. Ran the water on the windshield and water coming in at the lower corners both sides.. New windshield and gasket, but the installer never checked it for leaks . No sealer evident....No wonder he is now out of business..... Hopefully I can seal it up without taking the trim and gasket off.................................MO

Here's a lighter pic from my GTX, pass side. The upper cowl sheetmetal is flared up so water and debris can exit.
20200822_122044.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back