• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Water Pump Gasket Question

slepr1

Local time
2:43 PM
Reaction score
My MP aluminum water pump started leaking. This pump has about 400 km's (250 miles) on it and started leaking out the bottom hole. I ordered a Tuff Stuff SuperCool water pump from Summit but they are on backorder so I'll see it in a couple weeks hopefully.

When I install the pump, do I apply any rtv to the gasket and install? Or just gasket alone with no rtv. The local mopar garage owner says no rtv, just the gasket is necessary. I've had so many issues lately with leaks on other parts and my salvation has been 'The Right Stuff'. I want to do this once so any advice would be great.

The biggest cause of water pump seals leaking on new pumps or when changing fluids is installing the antifreeze then the water
instead of mixing with the water before installing
as pure antifreeze kills the seal

If it's leaking out the hole on the bottom, it's generally the seal. Possibly a defective pump but a replacement "reman" is not all that expensive. Get an 8 vane pump used on a car with A/C or if yours was already just replace it.

I apply a very thin layer of rtv on paper gaskets. The problem with rtv is people go overboard. When they tighten down whatever it is they are installing it squeezes out, makes a mess and looks like crap. It also squeezes in and rtv gets into the cooling system or whatever it is being put together. But a thin layer helps if there are surface inperfections

Auto Transport Service
Back