• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Water Pump Housing Query

Ginja

Local time
4:13 AM
Reaction score
I'm looking for advice. My radiator has an unrepairable top tank so I've been looking for a new one. The current one is a Chrysler but is non stock, its much taller and the lower hose is on the passenger side. The pipe as been cut for it to fit, along with the lower radiator support flange. I figured I needed new hoses and a new rad to get back to something resembling stock. Then today I realised that the pump housing inlet (the lower one) from the engine is on the passenger side which is contrary to most 383's. The engine is not original to the car, it is a Feb 1966 block in a 1969 Coronet Superbee tribute. It was a 318 with a/c from the factory.

My main question is 'what do I have', i.e. why is the inlet routed differently? Secondly, I'm trying to replace broken stuff with things that are the 'right' parts for its year. Not for originality or value purposes, just so it is easy to identify and replace parts, rather than it being a mongrel built from whatever was lying about.

I'm in the UK so I need to get the right bits first time. I think my options either to replace the pump housing so it routes to the drivers side and therefore get a 'normal' setup, or would I be better simply getting a new top tank built for my existing setup (I've been quoted the same cost as a new imported US Radiator standard BB 26"). Is changing the housing a big job, are there other knock on effects, or is it on the other side for a more fundamental reason?

While the radiator is clearly leaking the only reason I'm really looking to fix it is that the starter motor started eating itself, as it has Hooker headers the coolant came out when removing them to get to the starter. I've also had to replace boots on the pitman arm and tie rod end as the linkage had to be dropped and so I've also taken the opportunity to replace the engine mounts. I also broke a plug wire removing it from the plugs and so they are being changed, along with the plugs themselves. I suspect this isn't the end of my jobs before I get the thing running again! Oh, and I know I need RTV on the bolts to put the headers back, I already have new gaskets but realise the bolts won't hold the coolant on their own.

The sixties Mopar big block lower rad hoses were usually on the driver side. But I believe the 318 cars had it on the passenger side. I once parted out a 1975 Dodge police car with a 440, and am pretty sure it had the lower rad hose on the passenger side. Maybe someone put a later model water pump housing on your 383 so they could keep the 318 radiator?

The 26 inch small block radiators had the water pump inlet on the passengers side.
I would guess a Cold Case radiator would be up to the job.
Ask Cold Case they would know if it could definitely cool a big block.
I believe you can get right or left hand in housings for the big block. My thoughts are if all the pulleys etc line up and work just get a radiator to suit what you have now.

I have an aluminum housing with the inlet on the right/passenger side as well as a 1 year old aluminum radiator for that application if you need them. Send me a pm if so. FYI changing the housing is not hard at all.

Trucks and motorhomes used a right side inlet pump housing also. I'm not a fan of RTV on the manifold/header bolts, you would be better off using a pipe thread sealant like Loctite PTF.

Pre-1970 Small Blocks where on the drivers side, 1970 and up were on the passenger side.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Everyday is a school day! I know a lot more about what I have now. As sourcing a radiator that fits what I have is harder than it might seem I'd like to revert to 'stock'. Looking about I see I can get an aluminium housing with an outlet on the drivers side from Summit or ebay quite easily but I'm wary of aluminium where I'd need to clamp my PS pump onto it. Does anyone have any insight into these cheapo housings? (they all look exactly the same so I assume there is one low cost market producer of them). I'm more inclined to get a cleaned up iron one, but my block is a '66 one. Are there any things I should be aware of? (the ads all say '67 on, not sure what the changes would have been?)

Thanks for the replies everyone. Everyday is a school day! I know a lot more about what I have now. As sourcing a radiator that fits what I have is harder than it might seem I'd like to revert to 'stock'. Looking about I see I can get an aluminium housing with an outlet on the drivers side from Summit or ebay quite easily but I'm wary of aluminium where I'd need to clamp my PS pump onto it. Does anyone have any insight into these cheapo housings? (they all look exactly the same so I assume there is one low cost market producer of them). I'm more inclined to get a cleaned up iron one, but my block is a '66 one. Are there any things I should be aware of? (the ads all say '67 on, not sure what the changes would have been?)
No problems with the aluminum water pump housings. I've been using them on street and race cars for years. My charger and challenger both have power steering mounted to aluminum housings.

Auto Transport Service
Back