• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Water Pump rebuild kit or?

moparmusclecars

Local time
3:38 PM
Reaction score
I need a water pump for my 1970 440 HP engine. Should it be a 4 or 6 blade? Does it really matter? Where can i buy a rebuild kit? My pump and housing is actually off a '69 383 2 barrel engine, actually. The casting number on the pump is 2843290. Castings number on my housing is 2780987-8. Will this work for my 70 440 HP engine? I will be non ac, and using power steering. Any advice would be appreciated. it seems all the new stuff out there is either made in China, or is aluminum. Is it worth to just have Arthur Gould rebuilder's do the one I have?

water pump 440  .jpg

Last edited:
If you are in to using an aftermarket, look at Flowkooler, I believe is the correct name. Very good results. ruffcut

I have a older cast aftermarket with 8 blades that worked well. you can have it if you can come get it. only have pump not any housings left.

I need a water pump for my 1970 440 HP engine. Should it be a 4 or 6 blade? Does it really matter? Where can i buy a rebuild kit? My pump and housing is actually off a '69 383 2 barrel engine, actually. The casting number on the pump is 2843290. Castings number on my housing is 2780987-8. Will this work for my 70 440 HP engine? I will be non ac, and using power steering. Any advice would be appreciated. it seems all the new stuff out there is either made in China, or is aluminum. Is it worth to just have Arthur Gould rebuilder's do the one I have?

View attachment 1424824
Just buy a FLOWKOOLER PUMP, install it and go down the road in complete confidence. It will provide the correct gallons/minute flow rate and velocity to yield optimal cooling. Just my opinion of course...
BOB RENTON

I agree use a Flowkooler if you are not going after correct part# and just want something that works this will be fine if you go oem then just remember non ac cars used 8 vane pumps with a bigger pulley it was like .9 to 1 rpm i think to run it slower and the ac cars used a 6 vane pump and a smaller pulley to make the pump run faster 1.4 to 1 due to the smaller vane diameter. Just remember if you run the oem pump make sure you match the pulley because if you run the 8 vane with the 6 vane pulley it will not cool due to cavitation and if you run the 6 vane pump with the bigger pulley it will not cool properly due to it running to slow.

I agree use a Flowkooler if you are not going after correct part# and just want something that works this will be fine if you go oem then just remember non ac cars used 8 vane pumps with a bigger pulley it was like .9 to 1 rpm i think to run it slower and the ac cars used a 6 vane pump and a smaller pulley to make the pump run faster 1.4 to 1 due to the smaller vane diameter. Just remember if you run the oem pump make sure you match the pulley because if you run the 8 vane with the 6 vane pulley it will not cool due to cavitation and if you run the 6 vane pump with the bigger pulley it will not cool properly due to it running to slow.
IMO....the difference in performance between the 6 vane (or impeller blades) and the 8 vane pump is not significant and its respective drive ratio. Use the pump arrangement that provides the HIGHEST velocity of coolant (and also which provides the highest VOLUME (gallons/minute) of coolant flow to provide the best heat transfer characteristics. This is why the Flowkooler pump exceeds the performance of a stock pump, regardless of the number of vanes or drive RPM. The FlowKooler impeller design procludes any cavitation at higher RPM, to maintain consistent high volume and velocity for best efficiency. This negates any proponent of slow flow thru the radiator....high velocity is the secret to heat transfer characteristics...refer to the principles of thermodynamic and NOT what your next door neighbor's brother in laws cousin best buddy thinks.....just my opinion....
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back