• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Water Restrictor plates?

Longknife

Local time
2:53 PM
Reaction score
Has anyone ever used those water restrictor plates that go in place of the thermostat? My T-stat stuck late last year so I took it out. The system was full of rust and chunks of crud. I had the radiator cleaned and I flushed the system several times to clean it up. I then installed one of those in-hose filters to try and trap any debris and it has some crud in it now. I don't want to have another episode and I ordered a set of plates; they are 5/8, 3/4 and 1 inch , I was thinking of starting with the 1 inch,,, Whut Ya think?

I have used them. Big for summer little for winter. All we ran in our dirt track cars.

We never ran restrictors in any dirt cars. In fact we usually had to block off the radiator in TX heat.

WHY don't you just install the correct temperature thermostat instead of a restrictor plate ? But first, clean the block and thoroughly flush it, along with the radiator. After installing the new balanced flow t-stat (180° F), install a 50% mix of ethylene glycol and water. Perhaps new hoses should be considered....just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON

WHY don't you just install the correct temperature thermostat instead of a restrictor plate ? But first, clean the block and thoroughly flush it, along with the radiator. After installing the new balanced flow t-stat (180° F), install a 50% mix of ethylene glycol and water. Perhaps new hoses should be considered....just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON

Bob. I think the crud in my system is causing the thermostat to stick and everything was replaced when the engine was rebuilt 2500 miles ago.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back