• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wax/polish/vinyl roof

Macdon221

Local time
7:27 AM
Reaction score
Good day all,

Whats your favourite polish products?

What if anything do you use on your vinyl roof?

Macdon221

What if anything do you use on your vinyl roof?
Nothing, except it gets a wash with California Gold just like the rest of the car.

Applying oils and polishes to a vinyl roof is like putting cooking oil on your skin and sitting in the sun all day.

Nothing, except it gets a wash with California Gold just like the rest of the car.

Applying oils and polishes to a vinyl roof is like putting cooking oil on your skin and sitting in the sun all day.
I don't know Kiwi - I used to use a black wax and apply it about once a month back in the day. 48 years later the vinyl roof is still in perfect condition. I just can't remember what it was I used. Otherwise I was going to post for the OP.

I don't know Kiwi - I used to use a black wax and apply it about once a month back in the day. 48 years later the vinyl roof is still in perfect condition. I just can't remember what it was I used. Otherwise I was going to post for the OP.
Maybe the sun is more harsh down this way. :)

Maybe the sun is more harsh down this way. :)
That could definately be. Back in those days the car was up North. You have much different weather than we did. The OP is from Canada so I think it would be helpful if I could only remember..... Age.....

That could definately be. Back in those days the car was up North. You have much different weather than we did. The OP is from Canada so I think it would be helpful if I could only remember..... Age.....
Armour-all was a brand name down under many years ago that was popular....good for vinyl and leather etc

we still have it .leaves everything waxy, interior are terrible when used on it
Products%20-%20Wipes_02_0.png

It wasn't Armour All. It was more like Turtle Wax - only black. Made the roof look like new every time I put it on.

I've used this since 2007. Wonderful product. :thumbsup:
upload_2019-6-5_7-46-13.png

While we have this thread going.

When waxing the car with Meguirs Carnauba Gold wax, do I have to keep it off the vinyl tail strip??

Is there some product that I should use on the vinyl tail strip to keep it clean and avoid shinking/cracking/yellowing??

I agree wit GetX'd. I used to use black Kiwi liquid shoe polish, the type with the sponge applicator. Worked great.

X2 on the 303 product, been using it for a while. Leave a nice look but not a grease look. Lasts a while, and is great on the dash and interior.

While we have this thread going.

When waxing the car with Meguirs Carnauba Gold wax, do I have to keep it off the vinyl tail strip??

Is there some product that I should use on the vinyl tail strip to keep it clean and avoid shinking/cracking/yellowing??
My stripes got wax just like rest of car. Never cracked,yellowed or anything.

Thanks Jeff... I've been hesitant to wax the *** end until I had it figured out. I purposely skipped from mid quarter back until I had the stripe on.

Thanks Jeff... I've been hesitant to wax the *** end until I had it figured out. I purposely skipped from mid quarter back until I had the stripe on.
I waxed my white stripes as Oldbee does for many' many years. Never did it change the complexion of composition of the material. I wouldnt worry about that.

NO! It's not just the looks you're after it's the protectant and the looks. It's a black paste like polish very similar to turtle wax hard shell paste wax - only black. It's not that easy on an off stuff. You have to wax it on and wax if off old school style. It will keep and protect your roof like new forever. Forget the easy wipe on shine solutions. they don't do anything to protect your vinyl in the sun and rain - God forbid.

FWIW I use Pledge on mine...About 10 years now and still looks new...both cars usually get done a couple times over the summer...only takes a few minutes...

Put it on a rag...wipe it in and then wipe it off with another rag...done for a couple months or so...

293.jpg

I used the Turtle Wax product on the vinyl roofs on my 72 Charger. Made it look new.
They also have a product that was clear for vinyl of other colors. Worked great on the white top on the 73 Charger.

Auto Transport Service
Back