• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Way off topic....

BIGSHCLUNK

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:05 AM
Reaction score
Anyone else here had issues w windows 10 Pro (version 1083 as I recall)? I wanted to run a better video editing program so I got a new laptop. You know the drill - more power more ram more memory. More headaches.... everything started out fine, I've had the machine for about 4/5 months now. In the last 3/4 weeks freeze ups, where I just had to let the battery die to shut it down. Intermittent crashes and restarts. Tonite it locks in this screen... had to let the battery just run out again. Did a little research online, lots of issues and from what I've read microsoft knows it's a problem. The laptop is actually under warranty BUT I'm afraid if I send it in (Dell, I've had many over the years including the one I'm on now - windows 7 Pro - no issues) I will lose all the files already in it. So I'll take it in local... just venting I guess.. but a real PITA :mad:

IMG_5256.JPG

I've seen that screen as well. However I was able to reset the computer to an earlier backup when it was still working well.
As for running out the battery, can't you just pull the battery to shut it down instead of waiting?

Vent away! I hate the damn things, or rather I hate the way you buy the computer but you you don't really own it, as some faceless people update it without your knowledge and then it doesn't work properly. They change colours and fonts because they feel like they are better when you might have been quite happy with them as they were. Some days I've been in a real hurry to meet a deadline, turn it on and it says it's updating and I can't even use it. It's a bunch of bullshit!

Windows 10 (And Windows 8) are fine to me for phones.
Not so much on my desktop PC. I've begrudgingly accepted that this PC I've had a few years now has 10 on it,
but I'm running a Windows 7 emulator on it, so it looks and operates like 7 used to.
I learned a hard lesson some years ago and I always have a 2nd backup HDD in it and copy over vital files
on it every so often.
We have a laptop and a "pad" and so forth, but I never use them unless we're on the road somewhere.
Despise laptops, always have. They're made for smaller hands and better eyes.

I've been an IT guy for over 25 years.

Win 10 is a real BITCH to administer.

I just deployed 5 new laptops about 6 months ago.

The site I am working at isn't big enough for a "deployment system".

It takes the better part of a day to remove all the bullshit that comes on them (games, automatic downloads, ads, trial versions, etc), and you still don't really get all of them, plus, even though you take steps to stop it (however poorly documented) sometimes updates bring them back!

Already one of them get a failed monthly update and takes 20 min or more to install it and then another 20 min to uninstall it after it fails.....every month.

I had that on a couple win7 machines and was only able to fix about 30% of them.
The rest needed a reload from scratch.

For this win 10 box, I just turned off updates.

I'm going to try an experiment and leave updates off on a group of them.

There is a third party AV program at this site.

Every new version of windows, without fail has been much harder for system administrators to administer.

I'm still not a mac guy though. They got their own tightly protected brand of bullshit.

Before you take that laptop in download a copy of windows 10 and make a bootable USB I think it has to be 8 gig or more. You can use it to recover/repair/reinstall. Or what I do is take the hard drive out pop it into my old faithful copy all the photos/documents that I need to keep to my 4 terabyte drive and then put it back into the original pc and run the repair process. This way you save your files.

Oh, that screen... I have a desktop that’s stuck in a loop. It tries to upgrade and I get that. I recover it. Then it tries again. No way to turn off updates on a home PC. Eventually figured out that I had to put it on WiFi and ‘meter’ the connection. Now it asks if it can upgrade, won’t do it on its own.

Work PC took two days for IT to babysit for it to load and install on the last OS upgrade form 10 to 10.

There are some 3rd party update blockers for home edition.

I work on pro and enterprise, so that's what I run at home, although the one I'm on right now is a home edition that was upgraded from 8 and after a few months of being slow as crap and not due to updates, it's finally OK.

Auto Transport Service
Back