• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wayward bulb

MarPar

If it weighs, it pays
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:18 AM
Reaction score
Greetings and salutations!!! :grin:
I was poking around underneath my dash yesterday (68 GTX) to pull out the flasher for the turn signals, cause they dont work (everything else works, including hazards and brake lights). I figure the simplest thing is usually the problem...going to get a new one today...3-prong!!?? Anyway, i found what looks to be an instrument panel bulb just sittin' in there chillin' in amongst the harness:confused:
So i consult my 68 Plymouth Repair manual in the wiring diagram section, and sure as hell there is a a leg off of the turn signal switch that shows just a bulb all by itself with no description...:edgy: what is it for? All my instrument panel bulbs are there and working, could it just be for some other auxilary gauge or something????

Thanks in advance
MJ

As if it isn't maddening enough to know where the heck that bulb goes, I go to a bunch of different parts stores today...none of these so far, can even come close to finding a flasher to match this one. One older guy even chuckled and told me "good luck!!" :angry: One place did have an adapter kit to change it to a two prong flasher, but i really don't want MORE wires under da dash and I wanna try and keep her as original as possible. I looked at fee-bay and found one, but the guy wanted $30 plus shipping!!! and i don't even know if its the right one, cause my flasher doesn't have any markings, it's covered with melted wire harness tape!!! :sFun_doh2: I may be pretty new to da hobby, but i didn't think a flasher would cost $30!!!! :urkidding: Any one out there know what specs this flasher has anyway??? Thanks for da help--Mar

Does your ignition switch have a bulb that lights it up? If it dont, that is probably where it goes....It should have a blue cover on it, and it mounts in the dash and shines through a small hole for the ignition switch.....check ebay for your flasher.

Hot Damn!!! Thanks pr that was it!!!: :sSig_wootwoot: it looks like my lower dash panel must have spit out dat little bulb!!! the ignition hole (huh-huh hole) is kinda warped and it isn't straight. the bulb's glass was intact, but it was burnt out...i have another dash panel in da attic i'm guna have to refurbish and then put that sucker in! pr any online stores you know about? I looked on fee-bay and only found da one for thirty bucks and not even sure that it is da right one :mad_6:

IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0094.jpg

Glad that was it. I never have needed a flasher for one of these cars, i dont know where to look, give 69runner a yell......

I did a bit of online snooping and came up empty. I'll have to see what is in my 69, and see if there is a part number on it and go from there

Thanks Runner...i have a friend who is a manager at a parts store who is doing a little snooping of his own, and as of this posting he's come up empty too...

Thanks for da lead pr... only thing is that the flasher i need is 3 pronged, that one is two pronged...it looks like the one you found is the one for da hazards, and not the turn signals... Thank you for checkin for me tho!!! i did find sumthin on da net, but not 100% sure if it's da right one... http://www.wiringproducts.com/index...et=d140.html&gclid=CNuQ6NzYgpsCFWoE5wodala8dg Hey Runner, if you get a chance, can u check it out to see if you think it will work??? Thanks Gents

Ha! don't do that!!! it's just a flasher!!! BTW do you prefer pr, or house or jr?

Anyone find anything??? My buddy looked thru all his books and shelves and didn't find anything close. Probably just going to try that one from wiring products, see if it works... thanks for looking, guys

Well yes and no. I felt around under the dash of the runner on the ground floor (one is over it on the lift lol) and I couldn't feel a flasher to check.

HOWEVER.....I checked my DUSTER and located what I'm pretty sure is a 3 pronged flaser. It is an O.E. piece and carries Pn. 3588537.

SO...what I might do is check with a dealership and have them run the number. Might still be some out there, or might have been superseded. In any case, if you locate more than you need, remember where that part number came from:grin:

You write like a Ford guy!! Any Advance or Auto Zone parts store has three prong flashers in the parts isle they keep the HELP line of parts on. All three prongs are the same for cars.

I write like a FORD GUY?

I own one (and have owned others) but daaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmm

I have picked up a 3 prong Flasher at Heavy Truck dealer or at Truck stop if you have a Flying "J' travel plaza they will carry various 2,3 and 4 pronged truck flashers. Possible try a KenWorth or Valvo Tractor dealer. They may be longer than your old old but they are very heavy duty. good luck

Thanks for all the advice guys, going to go do some more snooping today :sSig_thanks: I'll let y'all know what i come up with. BTW Runner, I won't forget where i got all my info, if i do find it, of course i will share with my FBBO brothers!!! Also, we all know you are a Mopar man thru and thru!!!:grin:

Thanks for all the advice guys, going to go do some more snooping today :sSig_thanks: I'll let y'all know what i come up with. BTW Runner, I won't forget where i got all my info, if i do find it, of course i will share with my FBBO brothers!!! Also, we all know you are a Mopar man thru and thru!!!:grin:

What am I chopped liver? :tongueflap: After all I was the one who told you where the buld went. Just kidding, runner is "the man.":grin:

Auto Transport Service
Back