• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WD-40, that essential "tool" in every garage

I use to go on quite a few road calls back in the day. With vehicles having the points ignition and running through standing water or just being a really rainy day, the inside of the distributor cap became saturated with moisture, rendering the system useless.

With the customers car being stranded along the side of the road, pouring down rain, I would remove the cap and spray the inside with WD40, washing out the moisture. Replace the cap and it would fire off. By the time you got back to the shop it would start missing and backfiring again.

One day I happened to have some CRC along and used it instead. Big difference in displacing the moisture and the car would make it back to the shop like nothing ever happened. That's one way how I found out that CRC was a better water displacement than WD40.

WD40 is very flammable and it dries out in only a few of days. We used to spray bare metal parts with it until they were ready for assembly but if the parts were stored too long you would find some rust. Just my experiences with it.

CRC was also my go to lubricant for wet distributors. Almost forgot about using it for this type of problem. Used to own a 6 cyl Ford with the distributor low on the engine. Hit a puddle and you were stuck with a stalled engine. Worked great for this!

I use to go on quite a few road calls back in the day. With vehicles having the points ignition and running through standing water or just being a really rainy day, the inside of the distributor cap became saturated with moisture, rendering the system useless.

With the customers car being stranded along the side of the road, pouring down rain, I would remove the cap and spray the inside with WD40, washing out the moisture. Replace the cap and it would fire off. By the time you got back to the shop it would start missing and backfiring again.

One day I happened to have some CRC along and used it instead. Big difference in displacing the moisture and the car would make it back to the shop like nothing ever happened. That's one way how I found out that CRC was a better water displacement than WD40.

WD40 is very flammable and it dries out in only a few of days. We used to spray bare metal parts with it until they were ready for assembly but if the parts were stored too long you would find some rust. Just my experiences with it.

Mainly use it as a water dispersant.

WD40 knocks the crap out of squeaky door hinges. That's why I keep it hidden from the kids I want their doors noisy. Especially when they hit their teen years...

Paul Harvey....that guy....
I liked his radio reports and his style. His kid tried to follow his lead but he was annoying. He mimicked the dramatic pause and tone of Paul but was nowhere near as good.
Paul was an ad spokesman for all sorts of products on his show. I don't know if any of them were worth a damn. One was "Ocular Nutrition". I was just starting to need reading glasses and in the ads, he made it seem that this stuff reversed age related vision problems. I trusted his word and bought two bottles. They worked like a Union worker does on a holiday....NOT at all! They also would make me sick sometimes.

Auto Transport Service
Back