• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

We are turtle farmers now.

Ghostrider 67

Jack Stand Racer #6..and proud of it!
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:50 AM
Reaction score
For some reason a local "Painted" Turtle has decided to lay her eggs in the center of our front yard. We saw her yesterday and I went out to pick her up and carry her to the pond. But she was digging in the topsoil with her rear legs, first one then the other. She had a little pile of loose dirt behind her, and I realized she was digging a hole. So, I picked her up a little and moved her a few inches away to see what was up. The hole is full of eggs! Never saw that before. So, we left her to it and ate supper. Went back out and the hole was covered and smoothed over, and the turtle was gone. Fast turtle!
We called the fish and wildlife people and the "Turtle " guy got back to us and told us about this species and says the little ones will be under there till the fall and will emerge then go back in the hole to hibernate over winter and come out in the spring and head to the pond. So, we are turtle farmers now, I guess! Lucky to have caught her in the egg planting act. Hope we get to see the babies when they come out! He said this species has been around for 15 million years.

20220525_181247.jpg
20220525_181258.jpg
20220525_181309.jpg

Last edited:
Cool! I watched a big snapping turtle do that once. She was in some sort of egg laying trance. Hope you get to see the babies!

I watched a snapper lay her eggs on the golf course once. We put a fence around it

Very, very cool. In Costa Rica there is a well known ritual where the turtles come in from the sea at night, do just as your little friend has done in exactly the same way - only on the sand. Leave them there for eventual birth. My Sister was lucky enough to see the whole thing one night while there. My wife and I went also one year but were not so lucky. From what I understand it’s somewhat of a sacred thing down there.

My take is is that you won't be cuttin the lawn anytime soon?

It must be the season.
On my way to the track last Friday I had to stop near my house because a turtle was trying to cross the road in front of me. I got out and wax going to move it, but it was already moving off the road.

When I got to the track, I made my first pass, and on the return road there was a another damn turtle crossing in front of me.

I thought maybe mother nature is trying to tell me something about my car.

My take is is that you won't be cuttin the lawn anytime soon?
We asked the turtle guy that and he said it's fine to go right over them until around 1 September. I wont though, we are going to put a wire cage over it to keep predators from digging up the eggs. I'll use the weed eater.

It must be the season.
On my way to the track last Friday I had to stop near my house because a turtle was trying to cross the road in front of me. I got out and wax going to move it, but it was already moving off the road.

When I got to the track, I made my first pass, and on the return road there was a another damn turtle crossing in front of me.

There's a river just below us here and we have a turtle migration every spring. All Vermonters are aware of this and watch out for them. Every year there are a few that get smushed but not many. I have moved many off of the road over the years.

We asked the turtle guy that and he said it's fine to go right over them until around 1 September. I wont though, we are going to put a wire cage over it to keep predators from digging up the eggs. I'll use the weed eater.

Be thankful you don't have moles & chipmunks! Those bastards dig like crazy, it's like, this soft bump of earth wasn't here a hour ago! WTF, they're all over the place?

I had one do that last year in a flower bed. I kept an eye on the spot for awhile but my wife said it can take 8 weeks for them to hatch. Did find a little guy sitting outside our garage a couple months later and took him down to the water. I assumed he was one of the hatchlings.

You're a good man Randy :thumbsup::thumbsup:

It must be the season.

That must mean you are the rabbit.

Great story, thanks for sharing!!

Very, very cool. In Costa Rica there is a well known ritual where the turtles come in from the sea at night, do just as your little friend has done in exactly the same way - only on the sand. Leave them there for eventual birth. My Sister was lucky enough to see the whole thing one night while there. My wife and I went also one year but were not so lucky. From what I understand it’s somewhat of a sacred thing down there.
We were on a dive trip in
Manzanillo Mexico last year . We just happened to be in the right place at the right time to help release baby loggerhead turtles . Truly a very rare opportunity!

2500C81A-84B7-43B4-B67E-21F5B899F74E.jpeg

Years ago my son was on his wave runner at our lake house and in the water was a box turtle struggling to stay up. My son jumped in, got him and gave him a ride back to shore. The land around us was steep and they would fall in. He carried that turtle to his truck and drove it to an area that it would never get near the water again. I'll never forget it, that's the kind of man my son was. Always cared more about others than himself!! Something else I haven't thought about for years.

Auto Transport Service
Back